StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Man-Juice Gin - Navy Gin with a Twist

This is a somewhat tricky question to ask, without sounding creepy but...I’m struggling. You see we’re testing gin recipes but keep generating a less than ideal nose. Yes of course you’ve all heard of Navy Gin but we seem to be making Seaman’s Gin, or to be more precise, Semen Gin. Yep, we have created (several times now) the distinct aroma of man juice.

Is this just what happens to all distillers, when too much tails comes out (but some of our best flavours seem to be in the tails) or are we coming off too hot, is our juniper funky, or what? We can’t bottle gin that smells like teenage boys.

Comments

• @grasshopper. A bit more information on the botanicals your using would help the sages on this board with many years of experience. If your using dried bullocks testicles then maybe that could be the reason your getting a seamen ( or semen) flavor. Which I really don't know what semen tastes like as I am a pitcher not a catcher. So an indication of what botanicals you are using, not the percentages and your process will help the guys/gals here to help you.

• As @DonMateo says - need more info - particularly on your botanicals. I have had a weird nasty salty umami-ish aroma in gin made with seaweed

• As an update. I should probably have also mentioned prior, that we are not only getting afore mentioned smell coming from the tails only but also from the hearts cuts. Being as we’re only recipe testing, we’re only doing 1litre runs (in a 30L boiler) diluted to 40% - thus not running dry but wondering if this might be impacting things (just the distance to climb etc). Temp has also been coming off pretty toasty too (like 84degrees for hearts). As for botanicals, we’ve created the off-nose on several runs e.g. Juniper, lemon zest, ginger...Juniper, Coriander... and a few of our single botanical trials too. Just wanting to sort this before we test too much more. I wish it was as easy as a dead rat in our water tank, but we’ve ruled that out too.

• if you're getting it when doing individual botanicals, it can't be the botanicals. Equipment, process, water or spirit are all that's left.

is the aroma still there after you've rested the spirit?

Also, why are you making hearts and tails cuts? are you doing your gin run directly from wash? If so, stop. make the best quality neutral you can - or buy in gns, then try again

• Were this a reddit post,,,,,could only imagine how far down the off colored rabbit hole the answers would drift?

Hopefully you'll get it fingered out.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited January 2020

Get a few bottles of distilled water from the store and use that for proofing down your test boiler charge. It’s probably something in the water. Funky volatile organics or disinfection byproducts.

We proof down with Ro/Di for gin runs. It’s probably overkill but we know we will never introduce anything negative in the still charge dilution water.

• edited January 2020

I'm 55 years old and i never knew there was a smell.

ShelteredLifeIGuessPunkin

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Someone might want to get that checked out by a doctor.

• I've got no opinion, but I'm curious as hell to see where this goes (and what the catchers think - may just be that a dick-with-a-twist is getting popular).

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• @zymurgybob said: I've got no opinion, but I'm curious as hell to see where this goes (and what the catchers think - may just be that a dick-with-a-twist is getting popular).

Branding / Genius

• edited January 2020

@FloridaCracker said: I got nothin.

Sure ya do. You just need about 4 oz of some likker before the creative juices start to flow...doh...

• Thank you guys. Yep, we’re using top quality neutral & cutting into jars, mostly just to test what flavours are coming out at what time. Sounds like it might all be in our water hygiene (rainwater), or dare I say, our less than stellar cleaning regimen. I’ll get a new water filter & try shop water. I hope that’s the cause anyway, as it’s not the twist most are seeking in their martini.

• Resting sure seems to improve things but it’s still there

• You might want to take a few samples to some gay clubs in your nearest city. You could probably find some customers who like the taste and like to swallow.

• @Smaug said: Sure ya do. You just need about 4 oz of some likker before the creative juices start to flow...doh...

LOL :))

I prefer hints of vanilla, caramel,cinnamon, etc........................

FC

• You could probably make a shit load of money selling this.

You'd have the market to yourself.

Complete monopoly.