StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Electronic Proof Meter For Testing ABV

edited January 2020 in General

Hey,

Just a quick question:

I use my refractometer but I was wondering if there is a cheap alternative for digital tester for ABV. I have found some of the lab level hand held testers but they are over $2k and that's a lot of coin.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• edited January 2020

Try find someone whom has an EDROMETER for sale...maybe Ebay.

The company I understand to have closed down, but the Edrometer is the poor man's solution to what you are looking for.

image.jpg
    800 x 452 - 35K
  • EasyDens is as cheap as it gets.

• edited January 2020

Thanks @richard. I found an electronic optical refractometer for a couple of hundred bucks. The beer guy swear by them but I don't know if that's a good option. I want the industrial one but they are soo expensive.

• Floaty thing ftw.

• edited January 2020

Hey @Grim or Moonshine. I just got this message when trying to access your shop.

Acceso bloqueado 
    No se puede dar acceso a la dirección URL solicitada
    URL del objeto:
    https://stilldragon.com/index.php/?SID=7gk7li3ldf2t37kkv7i29nobsl 
    Motivo: el objeto está infectado con HEUR:Trojan-PSW.Script.Generic
    Mensaje generado el: 1/21/2020 11:38:28 PM

It looks like you might have a trojan. I picked up one a couple of weeks ago and didn't know where. You might want to check.

• edited January 2020

I just pass the time here while drinking, don’t blame this on me.

• edited January 2020

@grim said: Floaty thing ftw.

+1 if you add thermometer to do temp compensation

• edited January 2020

@DonMateo said: It looks like you might have a trojan. I picked up one a couple of weeks ago and didn't know where. You might want to check.

Computer, ping @Smaug!

FYI @DonMateo, that's not related to our forum, but the StillDragon North America website. Neither @grim nor @Moonshine are involved there. :-B

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• @Moonshine said: FYI DonMateo, that's not related to our forum, but the StillDragon North America website. Neither grim nor Moonshine are involved there. :-B

Kk thanks for the heads up.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited January 2020

For mash - refractometers are challenging with final gravities - you need to use compensation tables and have very accurate starting gravities to have even a remote chance at getting an accurate alcohol potential %.

For ABV of spirit, they are very inaccurate compared to even cheap hydrometers.

Other than only needing a small sample, they are pretty shitty tools.

• I was going to add my experiences here and decided to wait to see other comments. I agree @Grim. I have tried using them with say mash and got absolute bullshit. With spirit I don’t know why you would bother compared to a good hydrometer.

• I use a refractometer to get O.G. of hot mash tun output, and I think that's a good application. For just about everything else, they're not only shitty, but just the wrong tools. As always, YMMV.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• Refractometer for wash liquid, Tilt Hydrometer to monitor fermentation, glass homebrew hydrometer for FG verification, Dragonfire hydrometer for parrot, DMA35 for 99% of spirit readings, $150 11-proof range (79-90, 89-100, or 99-110) glass hydrometer for proofing before bottling, $150 glass hydrometer with $300 NIST calibration to have on hand if I doubt or break the other glass hydrometer).

• EasyDens for wash liquid, EasyDens to periodically monitor fermentation, EasyDens for FG verification, homebrew hydrometer for parrot, Snap40 for 99% of spirit readings, $150 11-proof range (79-90, 89-100, or 99-110) glass hydrometer for proofing before bottling, method of choice for calibrating the previous.

• Edit: DonMateo was looking for digital. The above won't break the bank.

• You still can not beat the Edrometer ….. best value for money and accurate too.

• edited January 2020

Buy a good digital thermometer and a glass floaty thing - that gets you half way to digital ;)

Anton Paar is the name in densiometry, so if low cost is the requirement, probably Easydens.