StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Glitter in Gin

edited October 2019 in Recipes

How can I add glitter to gin and stop it from just settling to the bottom thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• maybe with some xanthan gum?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Coat the bottle with it?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Did you see my videos on mica dust?

• edited October 2019

In short.

Nothing will keep it permanently suspended, any additions you make will simply keep it in suspension longer.

Using the finest mica particulate is the best approach, screened/classified. The smaller the particle, the better the suspension, just realize it means it will be "shimmery" and not "glittery". You will not get larger "glitter" particles to suspend for more than a few minutes.

Sugar, lots and lots, and lots of sugar. The greater the density, the better the suspension and the effect.

The higher the proof, the faster it will settle. Low proof, high sugar, cordials and liqueurs are ideal.

• edited October 2019

Not sure where you are - but if you are in the US, there are some strict rules about pearlescent mica additions:

Mica-based pearlescent pigments may be safely used as a color additive in food as follows:

In amounts up to 0.07 percent, by weight, in the following:

1. Distilled spirits containing not less than 18 percent and not more than 25 percent alcohol by volume.
    2. Cordials, liqueurs, flavored alcoholic malt beverages, wine coolers, and cocktails.
    3. Non-alcoholic cocktail mixes and mixers, such as margarita mix, Bloody Mary mix, and daiquiri mix, but excluding eggnog, tonic water, and beverages that are typically consumed without added alcohol (e.g., fruit juices, fruit juice drinks, and soft drinks).
  • Indirect in those requirements - is the proof and sugar components (cordial/liqueur), I suspect those were added because of mica suspension.

• Oh, and don't use colored mica in colored spirits, it doesn't work. You can only use colored mica in clear spirits, otherwise use pearl/silver in colored spirits for best effect.

• I love disco dust (mica pearl pigment), if you haven't already figured it out.

• Glitter in gin? Blasphemy!

• @Homebrew said: Glitter in gin? Blasphemy!

Now ,now,,,,,how else ya gonna sell gin in the strip clubs?

• @smaug Easy pour it on a strippers body and get the punters to lick it off. With or with out glitter on the stripper.

• edited October 2019

The shimmer impact is less-than-noticeable in a mixed drink. Why the low abv makes sense - you would need to add more of it to a cocktail. Amplify the effect.

• My friends a block away from us did this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kEhzCCQQFs

• Proper craft beer, that.

• Perfect bachelor party drink

• Hahaha

• edited October 2019

I don’t see how it’s possible to use it in a properly carbed beer. Soda water will foam like crazy due to the nucleation points. Maybe it’s just the stuff I played with.

The stuff is messy and never comes off, careful if you are married, you’ll come home looking like you are covered in stripper dust.

• The only way to perfectly suspend particles is within a gel matrix. Given it would now be a gel, it would be difficult to "drink".

You need glyceryl monooleate and lecithin to create an alcoholic gel matrix.

You'd need a spoon to "drink" it though, when used thick enough to fully suspend particles.

• Thanks for your suggestions I have ordered some ingredients and will give it a go thanks

• edited October 2019

Look at something like goldschlager or Smirnoff gold.

Those gold flakes weigh approximately .5-1mg, but have huge surface area.

And it's in something like 200 grams of sugar per liter. Which is why they float like they do.

Lecithin is going to thicken a cocktail and create a lot of foam. I can just imagine shaking a drink w/ lecithin-gel gin. It's going to pour like opaque foamy gravy.

You are going deep into the realm of food science with those two.

• edited October 2019

How to keep sparkles suspended in gin.jpg
    320 x 320 - 26K

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• So how did the glittery gin jello come out?