StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Barbecue - Your Altars to Meat

Ok ladies and gents. Lets post fotos of your barbys with a foto of a typical barby.

Since i live in Argentina i will go first. This is my barby next to my garage with a typical sunday spread, vacio, tapa de asado, corizos, matambre, tira de asado and morcillas as well as some asado de cerdo.

Comments

• Awsome, I am hungry already.

• Wow.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• In case anyone is wondering they use either newspaper or aluminum foil over the meat to keep the smoke and heat on top of the barby as well as the bottom. About 90% of the people here cook with wood, and the coals. Low and slow. And almost every house has some kind of barbecue. Mine is about 2.4 meters wide. With the grill loaded I can cook for about 20 people.

• With a barbie like that you should be also into red wine production. Whats happening there ? A small fire box with chimney at back on left for charcoal production and you drag out to grill level.

Is there any chimney above that grill section ? I like my Japanese Konro and when feeling extravagant i use the Japanese million dollar charcoal which is amazing stuff. Sounds like banging two beer bottles together when clinking it - cook / put it out in water and use again - maybe three times. Wish it wasn't so expensive as i would use it all the time if i could.

When i look at that picture again i see the fire is not set back but just on a grate in the same opening so i guess there is just a chimney over the whole space.

chimney.jpg
    800 x 600 - 43K

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• edited September 2019

I must say that I always love an open braai (as we call it) / barbeque (for others). In this case a rolled pork loin spit with lots of crackling.

image.jpg
    800 x 452 - 137K
  • edited September 2019

And being totally grotesque, a hamburger that's the size of the plate. No I did not finish it. Left about 70% of it in a doggy bag for take home.

image.jpg
    800 x 452 - 69K
  • @GD50 they way they do it here is there is a basket that you put the wood in, as it burns down to coals then you shift the coals under the grill and the meat. That way you have good control on the temp by the amount of coals you put under the meat. Its a pain in the ass sometimes but here Barby is more like a ritual than a meal.

• edited September 2019

Before, After, & the tools of the trade! 14lb brisket smoked over oak for about 14hrs. Turned out wonderful!

1.jpg
    800 x 443 - 55K
    2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 133K
    3.jpg
    800 x 450 - 58K

• I'm not going to start, i already have enough bbq photos on here to fill a thread.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @ChrisSD said: Before, After, & the tools of the trade! 14lb brisket smoked over oak for about 14hrs. Turned out wonderful!

I'm sure I wouldn't know if it turned out wonderful.........:(

• Pay cut coming.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @smaug. I love the smokers I want one. Adding a gas burner is a cool idea.

• @ChrisSD Impressive cooking lineup there. Very nice

• @DonMateo that looks like one hell of a BBQ!

I’m thinking about getting a smoker and have concluded an offset smoker is the way to go but can’t decide if a pellet smoker or just old fashioned wood burning is the way to go...

On one hand using the wood from ageing spirits would be good but the convenience of a pellet smoke is appealing... how much attention does an old style offset smoker need? The guy in the store made out you basically have to sit there and watch it continuously whereas with the pellets you can just check on it from time to time (or spend a fortune and get one with WIFI). Part of me thinks he was just trying to sell the more expensive pellet option.

• My stick burner takes my attention every 15 mins or so. You can go something like a big green egg or you can automate a stick burner with pid.

• I run a smokai on a hooded gas bbq. The smokai burns pellets to supply smoke to the chamber visa a venturi while a single gas burner provides the heat. makes great pulled port & bacon

• @Sam said: DonMateo that looks like one hell of a BBQ!

I’m thinking about getting a smoker and have concluded an offset smoker is the way to go but can’t decide if a pellet smoker or just old fashioned wood burning is the way to go...

On one hand using the wood from ageing spirits would be good but the convenience of a pellet smoke is appealing... how much attention does an old style offset smoker need? The guy in the store made out you basically have to sit there and watch it continuously whereas with the pellets you can just check on it from time to time (or spend a fortune and get one with WIFI). Part of me thinks he was just trying to sell the more expensive pellet option.

If you use decent sized logs you can avoid having to sit and watch the smoker the entire time. Once you figure out the appropriate venting for whatever smoker you are using, you can check on it every 30-45 minutes. That being said, the hardest part about smoking BBQ is staying sober enough to finish it!!

• Let me just chime in here that at @punkin's recommendation I bought a Looflighter for my grill and smoker. Best addition to my outdoor cooking arsenal since meat!

AND, in a pinch, it can double as a hairdryer... :))

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• My favourite option for sure is use the sous vide to get meat perfectly cooked and then throw it in the smoker for an hour or two to warm up from the fridge and pick up some smoke and then some sauce.
    No tending at all.

• edited September 2019

@Smaug I thought you were Vegan! Who knew?

• I'm just a lowly, propane using basic grill man these days. I had a giant above ground pit several years ago. Alah Cuban style. But have since taken it down. Could do 3/ 40lb pigs at once. But it was a real fickle to keep temps stable. Had pics but lost em in an old phone.

• When I lived in Medellin I used to do barbys for the office once a month. THere would be 80 to 90 people turn up. We had 3 grills and two smokers going for 4 hours. Hard work that. Medellin is a great place. do a google search on "mujeres paisas" and you will see why.