Mixer Motor

Hello was wondering what size of mixer motor would be recommended for a 600 gallon mash tun running 2.5 pounds per gallon mash. Is this something that could be estimate or are there to many variables. Thanks

Tim

Comments

• I am curious about the same for a 1000l ongrain ferment wash.

• Likely a 3.7KW with an NMRV90 transmission. Pretty sure that tranny spins at 60/1.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited August 2019

1000L with a 2.2 KW with an NMRV70 @DonMateo

• Thanks @Smaug is 3.7 Kw 3 phase motor . How many hp is 3.7 Kw motor .

• @grim said: 5 horse

^^^

Yes 3 phase XP,,, if it comes from me anyway.

• I know from experience riding my electric bike up hills that i can pedal about 250watts. So 3.7kw would be about 15 stevepowers (STPW)

• edited August 2019

@hudsonbaydistiller said: Thanks for info

Sure.

Notwithstanding extra bracing and fortification with over laid sheet patches to minimize point load, I wouldn't recommend any less than a 3 mm wall thickness if you're going to chop into an existing tank wall to add an agitator.

• This is why you see tanks that have the mixers attached to a significantly more robust bridge - which is attached to the outer edges of the tank.

• @hudsonbaydistiller said: Thanks for info

No prob. I’m here to help.

• Smaug is there anyway to use the motor you sell on a single phase system .

• We use VFDs everywhere. We are only single phase but all our motors are three phase.

Costs more, but let’s you control motor speed and provides lots of safety features around overcurrent protections slow start, etc.

Even if we had 3 phase, we would still use vfds.

• @hudsonbaydistiller said: Smaug is there anyway to use the motor you sell on a single phase system .

Yes sir, we can get a single phase motor no problem. However, a single phase solution is not available as explosion proof.

• you want 3-phase motor, that allows it to turn slow, not need a starting capacitor, XP, etc... the single phase to three phase VFD is very common, but selection in 5HP may be limited.. 3HP is easy, 13E648 at Grainger for $700

• Definitely want a VFD if you're pushing grain around so you can ramp the speed.

• Vfd are amazing technology. I absolutely love them. I used one on my electric bicycle to power the 3-phase motor. SOOO much nicer to just pedal the bike by myself than to have two other people aboard also pedaling.

I’ve had good experience with the Chinese brand Powtran. Very affordable and well made with good parts support.

• Do they make ones that are waterproof with a heat sink and still have a manual knob?

• edited August 2019

Waterproof?

I have a few of these from this line: KBDA-29 Digital AC Drive. Really great units. Spray a hose at them and don't worry too much. The ones with the almost exposed wires always mystified me as to why anyone would want them.

• I don’t know about waterproof but all the other stuff yes

• eBay

Vacon SE are water resistant, you can often find good deals.

Also Lenze ESV (gray ones, not blue).

• @jbierling said: Waterproof?

I have a few of these from this line: KBDA-29 Digital AC Drive. Really great units. Spray a hose at them and don't worry too much. The ones with the almost exposed wires always mystified me as to why anyone would want them.

yes, the KB are very popular with small brewers around here, basically Dayton ones I posted above with different branding... was asking if that 'Powtran' brand made some... the -29 is also 3HP, not 5HP, and the good eBay deals on KB drives seem to only be on the 480V versions

I have purchased several off of eBay and one of the few items that I have been unhappy with... one just started shooting sparks when power was applied, the other worked great until it got warm, then went unresponsive and display flickering, etc... the one I got that was new worked great but ABB drives that are 4x don't have a external knob, which is OK if you put a knob in your panel and run a wire, but that is a hassle for a portable drive........

• Some of these units have remote operating heads that just use standard cat5 cable ends to move signals between the remote and the vfd. We remote mounted all our vfds from the equipment to reduce dust and vibration issues. We still had failures but of the three big 11kw units only one had problems in 3 years of service. Powtran offered diagnostic and parts support to us tho and were generally helpful if not fast.

I don’t think these things are good with lots of handling and movement and rough service.

One might create a dedicated outlet with a long extension cord and couple a cat5 cable with it. Then a judicious amount of flex seal or maybe one of those clear waterproof phone bags you use for whitewater rafting to enclose the remote head.

I’ve also looked at pulling the thing apart and spraying the boards and connectors with a electronic board laquer to seal out moisture.

Remote mounting the main unit might be a simpler method.

From my limited experience it’s just easier to replace a faulty unit and move on with life than try to repair. Buy a backup. They are cheap.

• We had five power options. USA 120, USA 240, USA 3-phase, Fiji 3-phase, Fiji 240 with 50 and 60 Hz.

Three backup systems and redundant power. Whole factory was also backed up with a 8kW single phase Genny which was converted as needed and ran through an automatic switching unit.

image.jpg
    800 x 600 - 80K