StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Confessions Thread

Comments

• I confess I buy too much stuff on eBay and should be selling 10x more than I buy...

• I confess that I am growing weary (that's code for fucking annoyed) that my IT guy can't seem to finish the to do list. And very soon I'm going to become undignified about the matter.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Congrats @DonMateo

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Thanks mate. Closer every day. My latest Quinoa whiskey is turning out to be a very nice drop. Now I just have to make and sell a lot of it.

• @DonMateo said: Well there is no where else to put this. But i confess i just purchased a block if land with a run down shed to build my distillery. I also just landed 3 consulting gigs so i am 4 months away from building a decent shed and tasting room. After 3 years of lurking and learning here.

Wow! Awesome bro! That’s super exciting in this economy!

• Thanks @fijispirits. Every day I work gets me closer. Mining is a tough industry right now. Not a lot of work and lots of guys looking for work. Which is why I want to be a bootlegger.

• @DonMateo great stuff mate. congrats

• Thanks @crozdog. I will post fotos when its done up

• Confess that this morning was the first time i've cleaned my desk up in over a year.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin mate. What did you find from a year ago?

• New confession. Had a customer come yesterday to pick up a 380l potstill. Loaded his boiler crate and the boxes of parts for him.

Had a couple guys here 10 mins ago to pick up...a 380l potstill. Only their one is one of the copper potshot series with a big copper lyne arm and floor standing condensor. And the other guy's got it.

• Too lazy to make a real drink... mixed margarita mix with don julio and liking it

• edited August 2019

@punkin said: New confession. Had a customer come yesterday to pick up a 380l potstill. Loaded his boiler crate and the boxes of parts for him.

Had a couple guys here 10 mins ago to pick up...a 380l potstill. Only their one is one of the copper potshot series with a big copper lyne arm and floor standing condensor. And the other guy's got it.

Good thing they live close to each other!! My mate called me about it earlier. lol

• I have quit the day job to focus on growing a distillery & an equipment supply & consulting business. Still need an income to feed the mortgage. FARK!

• @crozdog. Go you good thing. I am working towards doing that. Consulting sucks as nothing beats a steady pay check, that is if your prepared to suck the fat one and slave it out in a cube farm. I just got back from a gig in Chile. All of these engineers lined up in cubes. It was like looking at the matrix. All I wanted was to do my consulting, get my fees and the keep working so the only cubes I have to look at are IBC totes full of whiskey washes doing ongrain ferments. Anyway mate good on you.

• WTG croz.

Kinda scary aye....

• About 3 weeks ago I was mixing some fresh (About 200F) rum backset with some molasses for my next ferment. Makes the molasses dissolve better than just cold backset or water.

What it also dissolves is the top couple of layers of skin if it happens to pour on top of your breathable running shoes. Two middle toes turned into a gooey mess and are just starting to look normal again.

Dangerous shit we deal with and it is easy to forget it.

FC

• @FloridaCracker said: About 3 weeks ago I was mixing some fresh (About 200F) rum backset with some molasses for my next ferment. Makes the molasses dissolve better than just cold backset or water.

What it also dissolves is the top couple of layers of skin if it happens to pour on top of your breathable running shoes. Two middle toes turned into a gooey mess and are just starting to look normal again.

Dangerous shit we deal with and it is easy to forget it.

FC

No pics,,,never happened.

• Told you that shit would get you in the end!

• edited August 2019

@crozdog said: I have quit the day job to focus on growing a distillery & an equipment supply & consulting business. Still need an income to feed the mortgage. FARK!

Good on ya croz. For those who don't know croz and i are working together as i try to shrink my business (or stay static) croz is going to take on supplying our larger customer requirements of units over 500l.

In keeping with confessions, it was your mate Mark, croz, that i gave the wrong still to. He would have thought it was xmas if he had of opened the crate.

• When you get the paint sample chip for "Fishbelly White", it has a picture of me on it. My life depends on living in the shade.

Hmmm. That's really more of a reflection than a confession.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• I used to work with a ranga who would walk 4 steps out of his way to stand in the shade of a 2" post. He'd walk across a set of steps to climb up the shady side too.

• @punkin said: I used to work with a ranga who would walk 4 steps out of his way to stand in the shade of a 2" post. He'd walk across a set of steps to climb up the shady side too.

Have to. They turn purple otherwise.

• edited August 2019

How's your ranga mate going? Still outselling you?

Tell him i said Hi.

• @crozdog said: I have quit the day job to focus on growing a distillery & an equipment supply & consulting business. Still need an income to feed the mortgage. FARK!

Once you free yourself from the employee paradigm and become an entrepreneur there is no turning back. You become unemployable. The very thought of answering to an idiot boss is nauseating...

Of course there may be many sleepless nights, and untold numbers of meals comprised of 6 for a dollar cup of noodle soups before your business becomes successful.

FWIW - the sleepless nights may continue after you're a success. Across ocean freight can do that to you.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• @punkin said: How's your ranga mate going? Still outselling you?

Tell him i said Hi.

Yes he is. Will do sir.

• edited August 2019

Posted for a friend.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 55K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 61K
  • @jbierling said: Posted for a friend.

Oy!! How did your friend manage that?

• Flip flops and still pump out don’t mix.

• edited August 2019

Stupidity happened. Letting the perfect be the enemy of the good enough. 212F pooling up inside gloves and skin don't match, so I'm told.

And this one is barrel meets foot. What steel toe?

3.jpg
    600 x 800 - 67K