StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Peaches?

Dying to use my GB4 now that I have it. Has anyone tried peaches in it? I had some peach "moonshine" that was really tasty once and I'm thinking it was done this way because of the clarity.

??

FC

Comments

• edited July 2019

FWIW - I tried peaches in mead a few times. I really wanted it to work. No joy. I think most of the peach characteristics where scrubbed by the carbon dioxide outgassing. What little peachiness there was initially soon aged into nondescript fruitiness. Apricots turned out to be a bit more peach-like, but not worth the fruit and effort.

Maybe you’ll have luck with them in your GB4.

I would no have problems with making a peach tincture fortified mead if that is what it takes to make it happen.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Is part of your problem that you have lost your flavour profile being too hot in the vapour path, this being for fruit.

• What is the optimal temp of the vapor path for fruit? Definitely not putting them in the wash/mash; they will go in the GB4.

FC

• I have an idea to counteract the flavor loos by CO2 off-gassing... mix fruit with high proof alcohol and distill the alcohol off... then ferment the now sterile and aroma stripped contents and distill it, add back in the first distillation... method works great with honey..

• I did peaches before but not in GB. Make sure you get peak ripeness. I de-pitted, added a little extra sugar, poured hot water over it and mashed with a concrete mixer. After two weeks with EC1118 and a slow 3 plate distillation it was delicious! Just opened the last bottle three weeks ago and it still had the character.

• Probably going to try adding to the vapor path of both rum and whiskey. See which one works "best"

FC

• edited July 2019

There’s a good study that looked at the volatiles in the skin and the flesh, as well as by ripeness and varietal.

Skin was surprisingly important and I think as expected, ripeness as well.

Most of the volatile esters are going to easily get caught up in a big heads cut.

• If you do anything in the gin basket, make sure you get through your heads cut before you load the basket.

• @grim said: If you do anything in the gin basket, make sure you get through your heads cut before you load the basket.

Yep

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited July 2019

Here's the study I was talking about. I came across this one when I was readying up on beta-ionone.

https://www.sisweb.com/referenc/applnote/app-31.htm

There is one sentence in the study that's absolutely key i think:

_Although present in peach skin, benzaldehyde, linalool, dihydro-beta-ionone and beta-ionone were not detected in the fruit. _

Beta-ionone is a very important aroma compound.

Really interested in roto-vap'ing peach skins, we're just getting into season now so maybe i'll try.

• edited July 2019

@grim said: If you do anything in the gin basket, make sure you get through your heads cut before you load the basket.

Everything that I run though my GB4 has been distilled three times previously - a stripping run, and two spirit runs with cuts made on them. (Perhaps not the best idea for whiskey though. I don’t make whisky) IMHO the GB4 should only be seeing hearts. It is not used for removal, it is used for addition.

Now yous guys got me thinking about peach mead again. Peaches were a whole lot more accessible when I lived in Florida than they are here on G.I. And California peaches do not hold a candle to Georgia peaches.

Interesting note that the desirable peach characteristics are in the skin. I suspected as much. Anybody have any thoughts on peach fixatives?

FWIW I just added 30 gallons of lychee to 50 gallons of lehua honey mead. I make the addition at the tail end of the active ferment (R2 yeast). No matter. The sugar in the lychees gets the yeasties all worked up again. But the late fruit addition does much for the preservation of lychee characteristics in the finished mead.

• Sad that Georgia peaches may become a thing of the past. Blueberries are now their top crop and my cousin, who was raised there says that the peach industry is in trouble.

I was also going to probably do a stripping and spirit run before I try the peaches in the path; Only put hearts across them. Good thing someone mentioned the skin. Never thought about it.

FC

• I’m sad to read that about Georgia peaches. They are hands-down the best I have tasted. Something in that Georgia clay, methinks.

• Folks in South Carolina will argue to no end that South Carolina peaches are better than Georgia peaches. Similar to how folks from Brazil think that the whole Columbian coffee popularity is predicated upon the fictional Juan Valdez (marketing) character.

A statue of the fictional character even stands in the airport for viewing upon arrival.

Brazilians also have a strong opinion about roasting techniques used across the globe.

Sorry about the drift...

• Kona coffee mo bettah!
    an we doan need no stinkin' badges kneetha!!

• @Kapea said: Kona coffee mo bettah!
    an we doan need no stinkin' badges kneetha!!

See what I mean....

• edited July 2019

Even on the same island:

"Ka'u kope no ka oi!"

(Ka'u [region] coffee is the best -mo bettah dan Kona kine)

• Blueberries have knocked banana's off round here for the top crop. There's still a few banana's but not much. All torn out and replaced with bird nets.

Farmers with 2 acres are driving new 4WD's.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @grim said: Here's the study I was talking about. I came across this one when I was readying up on beta-ionone.

https://www.sisweb.com/referenc/applnote/app-31.htm

There is one sentence in the study that's absolutely key i think:

_Although present in peach skin, benzaldehyde, linalool, dihydro-beta-ionone and beta-ionone were not detected in the fruit. _

Beta-ionone is a very important aroma compound.

Really interested in roto-vap'ing peach skins, we're just getting into season now so maybe i'll try.

Don’t know if you caught it but the c10 lactones increased as the c6 aldehydes decreased with ripening. Perhaps a combination of late stage ripening and earlier stage would produce an optimum balance of the two?

I wonder if a Soxhlet extractor would work as a poor mans rotovap.

• @CothermanDistilling said: I have an idea to counteract the flavor loos by CO2 off-gassing... mix fruit with high proof alcohol and distill the alcohol off... then ferment the now sterile and aroma stripped contents and distill it, add back in the first distillation... method works great with honey..

How long to soak before distillation? I imagine with exposed element heating that scorching would be problematic?

• @punkin said: Blueberries have knocked banana's off round here for the top crop. There's still a few banana's but not much. All torn out and replaced with bird nets.

Farmers with 2 acres are driving new 4WD's.

Looks like I'm in the wrong part of the world. I have 5 acres of high-density (about 10 acres worth of plants) and my SUV is 16 years old......

FC

• edited July 2019

@FloridaCracker said: Looks like I'm in the wrong part of the world. I have 5 acres of high-density (about 10 acres worth of plants) and my SUV is 16 years old......

Change your name to FC Singh and move to Woolgoolga. You'll be driving a brand new Mercedes G 550 in no time!

• edited July 2019

@Punkin. Speaking of this the ABC Backroads on tv the other night was on Woolgoolga. The Sikh Temple looks like the place to go for a feed. It was a good show and touched on the blueberries and bananas issue. I think it was a mazeratti one was driving.

• @GD50 said: Punkin. Speaking of this the ABC Backroads on tv the other night was on Woolgoolga. The Sikh Temple looks like the place to go for a feed. It was a good show and touched on the blueberries and bananas issue. I think it was a mazeratti one was driving.

OK, this should be in the confession thread but I do have a Maserati. Bought it with a BUNCH of issues and paid 1/7th the cost of new. One of my hobbies is rehabbing cool cars.

FC

• @grim said: If you do anything in the gin basket, make sure you get through your heads cut before you load the basket.

That's why I use high quality spirit in my boiler for gin / gin basket runs - no need for heads cuts

• Yeeeessss …… But you can not use the immediate first part of the run because of the excessive heavy and crappy oils that are coming through.

• edited July 2019

@richard said: Yeeeessss …… But you can not use the immediate first part of the run because of the excessive heavy and crappy oils that are coming through.

Maybe you should consider finding a different source for your botanicals.

• Nothing to do with that..... This is standard with all botanicals with the first part where all the heavy oils are coming through, specifically Juniper.

• Really like your peaches wanna shake your tree....