Crystal Dragon leaking

First time on here (so sorry if I have the wrong category or something) looking for a bit of advice:

I ran my 4 inch, 6 plate Crystal Dragon for the first time today and had a few problems with it. I had several leaks at the gaskets between the column sections (where the plates are). I’d made sure everything was level and even (ref. the assembly video) and not too tight. I shut down and assembled the column again but with the four brace rods a bit tighter, but this just pushed the column out of alignment. I’m a bit stuck what to do next. Has anyone got any ideas or had this problem?

Thanks

Comments

• The obvious question is is all gaskets correct/ ok and not dirt ...

• Have a look at your glass edges. Some of the glass we had was a little more rounded at the edges and causes the sections to sort of slip against each other if there are more than 4 plates to a section.

Solution was laying some fine grit paper on a flat surface and rubbing the bottom and top edges of the glass flat.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Thanks guys,

@Oswald said: The obvious question is is all gaskets correct/ ok and not dirt ...

Gaskets look good and I have cleaned them.

@punkin said: Have a look at your glass edges. Some of the glass we had was a little more rounded at the edges and causes the sections to sort of slip against each other if there are more than 4 plates to a section.

Solution was laying some fine grit paper on a flat surface and rubbing the bottom and top edges of the glass flat.

Umm.. yes some do appear more rounded than others. I’ll try putting the more rounded ones at the ends.

I’m also going to try some PTFE tape around the ends of the glass cylinders. I’ll try again next week when there’s no gin production scheduled in.

Keep you posted, thanks again

• All running well this time, no leaks on the column and running well at 95%abv and about 3 litre/hour. Thanks again for the help.

• You are welcome.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited March 2020

Hi @Ian_curtis_uk

As @punkin explained, use the sand paper, I just did my first run with my new 4" CD and had the exact same issue, 120 grit sandpaper on a flat surface and 45 min spend sanding the top and bottom of the glass cylinders and the column is now rock solid.

Well worth the time spent.