StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

UK Petition: Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU

Petition Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU.

The government repeatedly claims exiting the EU is 'the will of the people'. We need to put a stop to this claim by proving the strength of public support now, for remaining in the EU. A People's Vote may not happen - so vote now.

Sign this petition

Share this petition by

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

Comments

• edited March 2019

This petition has already more than 6 million signatures as at 29th March 2019.

Parliament will debate this petition on 1 April 2019.

You'll be able to watch online on the UK Parliament YouTube channel.

Government responded (This response was given on 26 March 2019)

This Government will not revoke Article 50. We will honour the result of the 2016 referendum and work with Parliament to deliver a deal that ensures we leave the European Union.

It remains the Government’s firm policy not to revoke Article 50. We will honour the outcome of the 2016 referendum and work to deliver an exit which benefits everyone, whether they voted to Leave or to Remain.

Revoking Article 50, and thereby remaining in the European Union, would undermine both our democracy and the trust that millions of voters have placed in Government.

The Government acknowledges the considerable number of people who have signed this petition. However, close to three quarters of the electorate took part in the 2016 referendum, trusting that the result would be respected. This Government wrote to every household prior to the referendum, promising that the outcome of the referendum would be implemented. 17.4 million people then voted to leave the European Union, providing the biggest democratic mandate for any course of action ever directed at UK Government.

British people cast their votes once again in the 2017 General Election where over 80% of those who voted, voted for parties, including the Opposition, who committed in their manifestos to upholding the result of the referendum.

This Government stands by this commitment.

Revoking Article 50 would break the promises made by Government to the British people, disrespect the clear instruction from a democratic vote, and in turn, reduce confidence in our democracy. As the Prime Minister has said, failing to deliver Brexit would cause “potentially irreparable damage to public trust”, and it is imperative that people can trust their Government to respect their votes and deliver the best outcome for them.

Department for Exiting the European Union.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Leaving the EU is madness perpetrated by con men pretending to be politicians, by lying to and appealing to those with the worse kind of "naval gazing" tendencies.

• Leaving the EU is what the majority of UK voters voted for. Signing a petition will change nothing. The voters in the UK rejected the neocommunist globalization of their country, and the ceding of control over every aspect their lives to elitist foreigners based in another country.

The only insanity was agreeing to be a part of EU reich in the first place.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• No, the voters in England and Wales voted to get out. Scotland most certainly voted to remain, thankfully the mess brexit is making will ensure Scotland finally gets its independence from its overbearing neighbour .

• edited March 2019

I whole-heartedly agree with that. Let the Scots decide what’s best for Scotland. Not some elitist foreigners based in another country. If they want to be in the EU, then they should be in the EU, not the UK. Even if it just means throwing off one yoke to put on another.

• There's a whole more to this than one liners.

UK voted to exit based on a bag of promises that all not coming true.

• edited March 2019

Because the communists who want to stay in the EU are working mightily to usurp the will of the voters.

Do not confuse brevity with thoughtlessness.

• Words like communists and usurp do...

• @Kapea said: Because the communists who want to stay in the EU are working mightily to usurp the will of the voters.

Do not confuse brevity with thoughtlessness.

If you have been watching the machinations of the Westminster parliament, you would very quickly realise that it is the far right that has been doing the most to destroy democracy in Britain, not the left wing. Having said that, they are both wings of the same bird.

• edited March 2019

Home rule as voted for by the people verses foreign rule as voted against by the people. Except the elite ruling class know better. If Brexit had lost it would be ironclad genius. But since Brexit won, it is obvious that it was only approved by the ignorant hoi polloi who cannot be trusted with self-determination and must be overruled to be saved from themselves.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Was December 26,1991 so long ago that it is forgotten already?

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.” - Albert Einstein

• Dude, you're putting the EU and USSR on the same level?

• edited March 2019

Communism is where you find it. It didn't work out when they did it at gunpoint, so now they are playing the long (multi-generational) game. That's why they changed their name to Progressives. Rebranding a failed, flawed idea into something new and wonderful. It sounds so... enlightened! Progressing towards a global society, where there is social and economic justice for all! Weeeeee!!

• I am pro EU, even when the EU is a pita.

• As am I Sunshine. The EU was set up at the end of the last unpleasantness to minimise the chance of another European war, unfortunately some have either forgotten that or choose to ignore it. I would much rather be part of an inclusive Europe than part of a navel gazing, xenophobic Britain.

• edited March 2019

The European Union began November 1, 1993.

The Soviet Union ended December 26, 1991. With that communism and hundreds of millions of communists just magically evaporated into the ether?

I submit the unpleasantness did not end. It just took on a new form, with its eyes towards the much wealthier west. Incremental progression through generations. No overt war for control. Inculcation and indoctrination instead. A war for hearts and minds.

Not navel-gazing. Understanding history and human nature.

Neville Chamberlain was not xenophobic. Lucky thing Winston Churchill was, ya?

• As a Scot I have no time for Churchill or his attitudes; for many he is on par with Cumberland. You appear to have a fixation on communism whilst choosing to ignore the rise of the right wing yet interestingly enough it was those followers of communism that won the second war by bleeding Germany dry, not Britain or the US. The far right is as despicable as the far left, extremism is exactly that and I have no time for either.

I will say this though, in its efforts to "get back control" Britain has almost certainly sown the seeds that will see a united Ireland and an Independent Scotland. I am sure that those who voted to leave the EU will be delighted to be in control of their own affairs although what they control will be a much smaller playground than before.

• Next time around, unlike 80-100 years ago, there will be an easily accessed history of who the Chamberlain types were... and how naive they were in their appeasement... I am with @Kapea

• History is invariably written by the victors, currently for the mess that Britain has managed to get itself into there are no real victors: instead there is a very divided and fractured populace. As I see it, the one good thing is that brexit will be the final nail in the coffin for the union, allowing Scotland to plot its own course rather than be dragged and manipulated by the other partner in this so called union of equals.

• @Uisge_a_Ghlinne said: ...interestingly enough it was those followers of communism that won the second war by bleeding Germany dry, not Britain or the US.

@Kapea said: ...Inculcation and indoctrination instead. A war for hearts and minds.

Which includes revisionist history as well, it would seem.

• Neither Kapea, a cold hard look at historic facts and the rates of attrition on the Eastern front as compared to the Western front.

• Documentation of what happened in World War II is extremely thorough. Good luck with revising that history.

• Remind me, just what were the Axis losses on the Ostfront before D-day and then after?

• Shit looks like we have the next Irish / Scottish world war breaking out :))

• Scotland will eventually secede, EU or not.

• So they will be like Canada to us here in the USA?

• edited April 2019

• edited April 2019

Leaving being way harder than joining, if not impossible.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Like the CCCP was, until it collapsed.

• edited April 2019

Has the UK done its homework, EU elections? If not the EU will not accept a revoke, simple because the center left liberals are afraid of their positions. It might be about 3-7 seats (elections in May ) but sadly they will do anything at the moment. It could but a no from the side of EU.