StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Single Malt Whisky

2»

Comments

• Awful lot of noise in the gravity signal. .020+ swings between consecutive points. What are you measuring with?

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• @grim said: Would get trapped by floating grain until the cap fell.

exactly... but you could put it in a GB4 basket and press into the grain...

• @Kapea said: Awful lot of noise in the gravity signal. .020+ swings between consecutive points. What are you measuring with?

Tilt hydrometer... if you ever fermented in a glass carboy, you would know exactly what caused the readings... the constant churning.. it sends a bluetooth beacon every 2 seconds to the server (phone with app or RPi) and charts every 15 minutes, and I have requested they put in some sort of algorithm in to take the mean of the 450 measurements instead of just the current one...

• thanks guys for the info . cotherman what is a gb4 basket

• edited February 2019
  • edited February 2019

I am not familiar with the mechanical characteristics of tilt hydrometry.
    If it is so sensitive to turbulence, perhaps measuring the density of active fermentations associated with beer and wine is not the right application of the technology.
    Average the 450 data points over 15 minutes, and perhaps a sample measuring chamber providing shielding from turbulence and gas bubble buoyancy.

• the 1970's called you and wants their hardware solution back for a problem that 21st century tech can solve with a few lines of code...

• edited March 2019

Sorry about that. I am used to having to reporti repeatable, accurate measurements for compliance. Computer generated approximations are not accepted.

• bubbles will still form and change the SG themselves, , krausen happens, even in a test chamber.. and you are thinking far beyond the intended use of the device.. It currently stores to the google sheet every 450th value, weather that value is in line with the values around it or not... this is exactly why the mean function was invented. I can absolutely 100% guarantee any instrument has a similarly functioning algorithm... you may call it a 'noise' filter or something else.. you going to take CPU load at a random instant to size your server farm? Of course you are not... a slight wind-gust on you anemometer to say there is a hurricane approaching? no... could the tilt be stabilized by cross-plane gyros giving inertia? yes... for $135 including software to upload to google for nice charts? aw, hell no...

The tilt is wonderful square peg, if it does not fit in the round hole you think it should, that is still perfectly fine IMHO

• That’s what they used to say about dissolved oxygen meters, until Hach invented LDO.