Pressure Relief Valve

On other forums I've noticed some folks talk about whether we should be using pressure relief valves on our Stills. SDEurope mention that one of the top 2" ports on a 100L milkcan (for example) can be used as a site glass etc or a pressure relief valve. Has anyone configured their boilers with these? If so, what type / where do you source please?

I'm currently thinking that it's probably not necessary to have a pressure relief valve for a bubble cap column, but if I add a packed column to the Dash 2, to make a bit of neutral then perhaps I should? (on the basis that if packing is a bit tight then it could cause a blockage?)

Am I worrying about nothing?

Comments

• No your not worrying about nothing. Search on distillery fire. Here is a foto of my gin rig with a pressure/vacuum releif value that is rated to 1 bar + or - .1 bar. Its the kind of thing like a seat belt in a car. You might never use it or need it 4000 trips in a row. But on your 4001st trip you hit somethin going fast. I think SD sell them.

• edited January 2019

OK mate. Sorry here is the photo. The nobby thing on the right of the top of the boiler is the pressure relief valve.

image.jpg
    450 x 800 - 67K
  • In Aus the legislation requires a PRV on vessels over a certain size.
    Below a certain size they can vent inside the building and above a certain size they must vent externally. Under both scenarios a certified engineer must be used to size the PRV.

If you install a PRV even if you didn't need to, then legislation requires you must have a maintenance program and routine testing program to confirm it does what you say it does.

• Thanks guys. I can see these on the US and Aus sites, but can't find them on SDEurope.

@Sunshine - do you sell these? If not, what do you normally recommend for the European customers please?

• If you read my reply above you'll see there's no 1 PRV that suits all needs. If you're commercial you have no alternative but to go down the engineer certified path.

• Forgive me, I see from your OP that you're not commercial.

• Not currently, but that's my intention - so I'll follow your advice. Many thanks :-)