Level Sensor for Solenoid Valve

Hello,

Does any one have any suggestions for a level sensor that would run a 120V solenoid valve?

Thanks,

Tim

Comments

• I am using the Endress & Hauser level switch FTL31. Basically 24VDC so low voltage. I am in two minds whether to go for the Ex version of this level switch.

But referring to your scenario I say the following.... 120VAC is high voltage and is steered clear of. Rather stick to 24VDC for control inputs and valves.

I will be using 24VDC solenoid valves for distilled product.... heads, hearts and tails. In this selection I am using Ex rated solenoid valves. For my condenser water supply I am using again a 24VDC solenoid valve but not Ex rated.

• Depends.

Obvious caution should be used when switching 120v in proximity to potential vapor or high proof liquid.

Simple switches can and will arc.

Better would be to use a similar type of level switch, but have it switch a small sensing current, and use a relay to switch the solenoid.

• edited December 2018

Pepperl Fuchs make some nice intrinsic barriers which are basically relays that are switched by simple remote switches.

They are built in such a way that any and all voltage are isolated from the switching side, even during malfunction. They pose zero risk of arc or ignition.

You can use a simple magnetic reed float, or double floats if you want to maintain a fill range.

• thanks guys ill pass this on to our electrician tim

• edited January 2019

Speaking level switches, my temperature transmitters (4-20mA) and level switches arrived today

2.jpg
    800 x 453 - 60K
    3.jpg
    800 x 453 - 63K
    1.jpg
    800 x 453 - 53K
  • @richard did you go for vibrating fork level switches?

• edited January 2019

Yes.

I have used the special 150 deg C variation.

image.jpg
    245 x 532 - 14K
  • Why a fill sensor at the bottom of the tank?

Electric elements?

• That would be a low level switch or low low level switch if it's at the bottom.

• It is positioned marginally above heating elements. It is there for absolute final low level detection ..... where the heating elements ultimately become exposed.

• The heating elements are interlocked with the level switch. Once low level is detected, the coil for the power supply to heating elements is deactivated.

• No concerns about boiling confusing the tuning fork?

• No I certainly hope not, especially if they are correctly orientated. The forks are +- 30mm above highest part of the element as well as being furthest away from the element.

The only time I really expect action is when the still is at the lowest and then I am happy because they will fulfil their function and protect the expensive heating elements when they become exposed.

• I am using various liquid level sensors in our industry for a long time with no trouble. The support team is really great to help. If you are interested you can visit this website: Liquid Level Sensors @ ICON Process Controls