I would like your opinion on this configuration...

I would like you to give me an opinion on this configuration.
The heating is by thermostat of 30/40kW.

Comments

• Configuration will work (it's the same as a double dragon) but the thermostat will not.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: Configuration will work (it's the same as a double dragon) but the thermostat will not.

I fooled myself, the thermostat has 30.000W or 40.000W.

• Yes but you can't use a thermostat to control a still.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• What Punkin said.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• In a 500 litre still you'll need several heating elements.

For example 5x 5500w.

No thermostat. That might be something lost in translation if English is not your first language.

• @Homebrew said: In a 500 litre still you'll need several heating elements.

For example 5x 5500w.

No thermostat. That might be something lost in translation if English is not your first language. @Smaug said: What Punkin said. @punkin said: Yes but you can't use a thermostat to control a still.

Sorry for the mistake, yes I will use several electrical resistors with thermostat. In several places for better heat distribution.

• edited December 2018

Thermostatically controlled stills work best with a jacketed kettle that uses oil as the thermal transfer medium. Heating adjustment responsiveness is mostly non existent. Not a problem when your recipe and run strategy is dialed in.

Makes for a terrible recipe development system.

How are you applying thermostatic control?

• @Smaug said: Thermostatically controlled stills work best with a jacketed kettle that uses oil as the thermal transfer medium. Heating adjustment responsiveness is mostly non existent. Not a problem when your recipe and run strategy is dialed in.

Makes for a terrible recipe development system.

How are you applying thermostatic control?

Good afternoon. We go through 6 resistances spread by the pan for a better heat distribution, and also we go by a magnetic pump to circulate the content. everything will be connected to a control system of both temperature and the pump, for better efficiency.

• So are you installing the heat load directly into the kettle charge? Or into a jacket?

• edited December 2018

@Smaug said: So are you installing the heat load directly into the kettle charge? Or into a jacket?

Directly, you think bad.

• edited December 2018

You have to think of your heat input as a flame. Either a large flame, or a not so large flame. But no matter what there must be a flame. Or more specifically, there must be continuous heat input.

If you interrupt the heat input any vapor (and pressure) that you have in suspension will fall out of suspension. This makes for bad still behavior and also less than optimal quality for your finished product.

If you were cooking grains and needed to control temps, then the thermostatic control is a very handy tool.

You can manage head temps with forced reflux and some power management. But no matter what the heat input simply can not be turned off even briefly.

The caveat to that for the kettle is if you are using a heat transfer medium (like oil) that holds thermal mass very well.

• I go for 6 resistances in this still, where do I advise to put it? Alternatively in case of power failure I will have the gas as a source of heat.