StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Hello

I have been lurking for quite a while on the SD forum and thought it about time to introduce myself.

Located in the SE in the great state of Georgia with a strong preference for all types of Whisky. Chemist background so I look at this process as a big chemistry set. Very interested in the process of "artificial" aging.

lowball

Comments

• Welcome... not too much talk anymore on here, but if you spend a bit of effort, you can find several threads on that subject. aging and ultrasonic are the search terms I would use..

If you ever get to Tampa Area, I would be happy to show you StillDragon products in action along with natural aging.....

• Welcome mate.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @CothermanDistilling said: Welcome... not too much talk anymore on here

Which is actually a good thing, it shows that people have less problems with StillDragon products than with other equipment! ;)

On the other hand, there is only so much you can talk about, with ~2000 threads there may be little left that hasn't been discussed before.... :-B

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• edited September 2018

It's more hype than reality, you need to separate the marketing nonsense from the tiny, tiny, tiny bit of truth.

Every year that goes by, it becomes a little bit more apparent that it's simply not possible, but that doesn't stop someone from rehashing something disproven 40 years ago.

Many of us played around with ultrasound, and saw some positive benefits, however, going back to samples I treated with ultrasound over a year ago, they are indistinguishable, leading me to believe that even though there may be a difference in a treated product, those impacts might be temporary.

• Thanks everyone for the welcome. Cotherman, I am going to take you up on that offer!

• @grim said: Many of us played around with ultrasound, and saw some positive benefits, however, going back to samples I treated with ultrasound over a year ago, they are indistinguishable, leading me to believe that even though there may be a difference in a treated product, those impacts might be temporary.

Almost correctly: the impact isn't temporary, it's effects just overlaps with "airing" and letting your product settle for a few weeks - so if your making say whisky there will be hardly any difference after three years. That's why I use ultrasound only on new spirit that needs to be rushed into the shops or more likely a tasting.

• Welcome @lowball , like you I'm a chemist, amongst other things. Feel free to ask anything.

Cheers,

Mech

• edited September 2018

I think the ultrasound phenomenon has something to do with the obvious degassing that takes place during treatment, as opposed to some acceleration of chemical reactions. I think this could potentially explain the transitory positive impact of ultrasound. A few months exposure to even the limited atmosphere in the headspace of the bottle with result in gasses being redissolved back into the spirit.

This would also mean that ultrasound treatment pre-barreling would potentially be negative, might drive out oxygen.

• What’s the deal with lost spirits and the light blasting thing? What’s happening there?