Frozen Juice Concentrate Source

edited July 2018 in General

For those interested these folks offer many different fruit and grape concentrates available for purchase in 5 gal pails. I inquired about the Concord Grape and Blackberry concentrates and was quoted the following;

MOQ pricing as follows;

• Kosher Concord grape jc 68 brix $37.34/gal
  • Non-kosher Concord Grape JC 68 Brix $35.3/gal
  • FOB IL, frozen 5 gallon pails.
  • Usually for 1-2 pail orders we'll ship fedex or ups overnight, and there's a $35.00 shipping carton fee.
  • FedEx standard overnight for 1 pail is $251.00
  • FedEx ground for 1 pail is $37.84 - 2 business day eta transit time.

When asked about reconstitution rates the reply was;

Concord Grape Juice Concentrate : 1 part 68 brix concentrate plus 4.33 parts water which will bring you to >16.00 brix juice.

Blackberry Juice Concentrate: 1 part 65 Brix concentrate plus 7.24 parts water which will bring you to >10.00 brix juice.

Larger quantities are available.

Just thought I'd share..............

Comments

• edited July 2018

Spot on

Concentrate dilution

Starting Brix   68
        SG at start 1.339903434
        Dissolved solids g/l TSS    911.1343351

Ending Brix 16
        SG at end   1.065435385
        Dissolved solids g/l TSS    170.4696616

DSOS        0.007               Dissolved solids correction.
        EstSG       1               Estimated finished gravity
        PA  % ABV       7.759449535             Potential alcohol

1   Liter of AJC weighs @  Bx   68      1.339903434 kg
        x   Of which is sugar   %   68      0.9111  kg
            At 24 Bx the same amount of sugar will be present, thus
            The Total diluted solution will be          5.6946  kg
            Convert to volume           5.3448  liters
            So volume of water to add           4.3448  liters

OR if you use the TSS ratios
        1   liter of AJC converts from/to   68  16  5.3448  liters
            Thus volume of water to add:            4.3448  liters

yeast nutrient  200 g/hl    10.68969489 g       Grainpro

Yeast   60  g/hl    3.206908467 g       AEB - Fermol Clarifiant

yeast is increased to 0.6g/L or 60 g/hl - Craig Groenefeld
                Yeast nutrient for apple is 200 g/hl - Mike Binnie

1 ppm = 1mg/l   400 ppm 2.137938978 g based on converted volume 5.3448 L
            1 ppm = 0.1g/Hl

Brix to alcohol conversion.
        Brix    16
        Factor  0.56    Alcohol conversion factor ….. Between 0.55 - 0.64
        PA  % ABV   8.96

• Floors me how expensive fruit is, and how expensive the distillate would be.

Go to the store and find a bottle of apple or plum brandy for $30.

Almost seems like you need to own the farm to stand any chance at making money.

• edited July 2018

Or live somewhere where they give away ugly (unsellable) fruit to get rid of it.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Just passing on info I thought others may find interesting. I grow my own fruit. I'm silly that way.

• @richard said: Spot on

Any chance you could share your formula or the spreadsheet? I'm currently trying to work out how to do juice and liquid sugar dilutions.

It looks like you've got it sorted.

Thanks

• @crozdog said: Any chance you could share your formula or the spreadsheet? I'm currently trying to work out how to do juice and liquid sugar dilutions. It looks like you've got it sorted. Thanks

I have linked hightest's sheet a few times, it does all that.

• edited July 2018

Thanks @cotherman.

The original link no longer works. I found the sheet here: Honey.xls @ Google Drive

Now to work out how to drive it to do what I want - not to mention convert to metric ;)

• I don't follow, if you know the Brix, and the weight, you have everything you need, don't you?

1 Brix = 1 gram of "sucrose" in 100 grams of liquid

So if you have 1000 grams of a 50 brix solution, and you want a 25 brix solution, just add 1000 grams of water.

• edited July 2018

Then there is the old dilution formula from chemistry:

C1V1 = C2V2

where C = concentration and V = volume
    plug in known values
    isolate and solve for the unknown
    use consistent units and they will resolve themselves in the solution (pun intended).

from above (for simplicity, where 1g of water = 1mL of water)

50 brix x 1000mL = 25 brix x V2
    V2 = 50,000 brixmL/25 brix
    V2 = 2000mL

Add enough water to V1 (1000mL) to increase the volume to V2 (2000mL) and your new solution will have the desired concentration - 25 brix

With more concentrated initial solutions (50 brix is some pretty gooey shit) replace V with M (where M = mass) for better accuracy, as grim did above. (weigh your liquids instead of measuring them in volumetric containers)

M1 = 1000g,
    M2 = 2000g

I use C1V1 = C2V2 when I miss the desired starting gravity for my mead and sugar wash ferments (not all honey or cane juice is created equal), e.g. I want to ferment starting at 1.070, but I mixed up a 1.090 must. How much water do I need to add to the must to dilute it down to 1.070?

If it is a batch of honey or cane juice I have not worked with before I will intentionally mix a higher gravity must, and then fine tune to the desired starting gravity by diluting.

FWIW gin made from a honey base spirit is PFG.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• nice spreadsheet

• edited July 2018

Thanks guys.

I'm asking as I'm reworking a liqueur recipe to use liquid sugar and juice concentrate instead of granular sugar and juice. I need to determine:

1. How much liquid sugar to use to replace the granular sugar
    2. How much water is in that volume of liquid sugar
    3. How much water to add to the concentrate to get single strength juice

Once I have those answers I can then work out the actual volume of water to add (ie amount needed to dilute concentrate - the amount that's in the liquid sugar)

I have used 2 methods to determine 1 & 2 (brix =g/ml and mass=volume/density) as well as 2 methods to perform 3 (c1v1=c2v2 & pearsons square). In both cases the different methods provide the same result which is comforting.

I found several online calculators which provide the same results for 1&2 eg Calculator for sugar concentrates dilution

However winemaking calculators @ WineBusiness and Winemaking Calculators @ VinoEnology both give approximately the same result which differs to the other approaches.

The fermcalc app gives another result as does the brix calculator app. Interestingly this last one shows that a 70.5 brix solution contains 0.952kg/l sugar which is a lot different to the 0.705 kg/l I expected.

For the time being, i'm going to ignore the results from the online calculators and the apps, but i am curious why they give different results.

• Was with another company yesterday, they have just lanched a Gin with infused Cannabis.