Checklist for Piping

I have recentely received by StillDragon column. Initially I thought it would have been easy to find the hoses and connections for the cooling water locally, but then I thought that it is better if I make another order, and I buy the stuff at SD shop, as they certainly fit my setup exactly. I would like to know if I am forgetting anything.

I have a 2" column, with a 2" baby dephlegmator and a 2" final product condenser with threaded water connections.
I want to use two separate water flows and to be able to regulate each water flow separately.

From the kitchen tap, I want to create a biforkation and have two separate cold lines, one going to the dephlegmator, the other going to the final product condenser. Each cold water inlet will have a flow regulator. The two hot water outlets will go separately to the kitchen sink.

My list is so composed:

• 1 3/8" push connect straight to the kitchen tap;
  • Some short hose;
  • 1 push-connect tee;
  • from each end of the push connect tee, I will have a hose going to a 3/8" Push Connect Elbow with Throttle Check Valve: one going to the dephlegmator and the other to the final condenser.
  • From each hot water output I will have a 3/8" push connect straight and a hose going to the sink.

That should amount to:

1. Three 3/8" push connect straight
  2. One push connect tee
  3. Two 3/8" Push Connect Elbow with Throttle Check Valve
  4. Some meters of blue and some meters of red hose.

I understand I will have to solve the coupling between by kitchen tap and the the first "push connect" locally (I have no idea if the thread is compatible, maybe I will have to use adapters).

I would like to know:

• Starting from the first 3/8" push connect, did I consider everything? Did I forget anything?
  • Considering that I live alone in my house, but that I do go to the bathroom in a 7-hour distilling session presumably, do I need a water flow regulator, such as the once pictured below or can I make do without?
  • Do I understand correctly that the hose goes straight into the "push-connect" without any adapter?

Thanks for your help.

Picture: Water Flow Regulator

Comments

• I'd suggest having a separate disconnect at your sink water inlet, then go to the push connect. Makes it cleaner when disassembled.

Also, not sure how you're planning on managing the outflow (sink? collection barrel etc.)

In my mind, always better to have a couple of extra couplings (elbows, G's, T's, connectors) to ensure you can evolve your build

• I have a rapid gardening connection at the sink tap. That works well with my immersion wort cooler. I will first see if I can connect the push connect directly to my tap (after removing the gardening fast connection). If it doesn't work directly, I will try to make some adaptation. I am not going to make beer, or spirits, more than twice a month so I am not overly worried with the connection at the sink.

The outflow will be just throwing the hot water into the kitchen sink (or maybe collecting some of it for some house chores). It's a 2" column, and I don't expect to expend much in water. Water where I live is still reasonably cheap. I prefer to use tap water for the easiness in temperature regulation at the dephlegmator (water temperature is constant).

I am glad to know I am not forgetting anything. I am going to buy some spare part so that I am not stuck if something doesn't work.

Thanks for your help!

• Don't forget the SD needle valves are directional biased.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited July 2018

Some SS quick disconnects (based on Gardena hose that I make). Will be used for cooling water circuit.

1.jpg
    452 x 800 - 171K
    2.jpg
    800 x 452 - 58K
  • @punkin said: Don't forget the SD needle valves are directional biased.

Can you please clarify?

I intend to place one of these

3/8" Push Connect Elbow with Throttle Check Valve @ StillDragon Europe

at the cold water inlet of each condenser, in order to regulate the flow. Would it work as intended?

@richard

Yes that's very similar to my connection at the sink tap. My wort cooler uses plastic gardening connections, I don't like it much: too big a hose, too rigid, to clumsy, too cumbersome.

I think the still water connections will be simpler, with the hose entering straight into the plastic connector. I must hope it doesn't leak. Pressure is going to be minimal in any case.

• @richard said: Some SS quick disconnects (based on Gardena hose that I make). Will be used for cooling water circuit.

I was just thinking about how to convince @smaug or even alibaba make garden hose disconnect to 3/4" and 1/5" TC adapters!

• Gardena couplings are the # 1 thing I would like to see from StillDragon, even before more products aimed at the professional user (more 6" - 8" - 12" pipes, bends, et cetera).

• Speak to me ... I have them. I can weld to any required fitting and supply back via SD.

• PM me with pricing on 10 unwelded ones!

• I haven't seen those valves before so can't advise sorry.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited July 2018

Better still for flow control look on eBay and get two flow meters - the Perspex type with the indicator bobbin. I use a 7 l/m on my PC and a 20 l/ min on RC. ( 5 inch Column)

They regulate well and you know where you are. I had the others and took them out as unnecessary The $20 rotameters from China are really well made. I mount the RC unit on the wall remote and the PC unit directly on PC inlet.

• @GD50 said: Better still for flow control look on eBay and get two flow meters - the Perspex type with the indicator bobbin. I use a 7 l/m on my PC and a 20 l/ min on RC. ( 5 inch Column)

Can you please provide a link? I cannot find anything suitable on eBay. What I find is either mere flow meters or car parts, or heater parts, with electric connections.

• this is the best place I have seen, just saw it last week on homebrewtalk forum

LZM-15G tube type flowmeter (flow meter) for gas/liquid rotameter @ eBay

• edited July 2018

I prefer the vertical type as per photo eBay number 161902559274. There are many flow rates available once you find the right area. On my PC i use a LZT-15 with 1-7 l/m range and on the RC a LZT-15 with 2 to 18 l/m. The 18 l unit is the biggest you can go in the 15mm size so if you need more you would have to go up to the LZT-25 range

image.jpg
    800 x 600 - 49K
  • Thanks. I see, there is a regulator as well. Nice objects.