StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

When is Gin not Gin?

edited April 2018 in General

Hi All,

Came across these interesting bottles on the Gin shelf at a local independent bottle shop yesterday.

A Distilled, Non-Alcoholic Spirit, retailing for AU$45/700ml. "What to drink when you're not drinking". Looks like a direct replacement for Gin in the usual cocktails.

Never seen anything like this before, but looks very interesting. I'll go grab a bottle thisarvo and give it a try. I LOVE Gin, especially some of the awesome craft Gins we have here in Australia. Very interested to see if this can be a good substitute. I was expecting it to be full of sugar, but the label says not.

Anyone seen it/tried it before?

Any idea how its made?

Dreamer

Comments

• Now thats an interesting idea. I would have to wonder if the vapor stream ( steam) does not strip out all of the flavor compounds that a water/alcohol vapor stream would do.

• edited April 2018

Hmm, just found this on the website: "using neutral grain spirit within the initial distillation process"

I had been getting excited that I might be able to get something similar going without the hassle of a liquor / excise licence...

• Maybe some form of cross flow filtration for alcohol removal. Otherwise to blend it down to zero is going to taste like shit.

Expensive production.

But it begs the question, at what max amount of alcohol content do you need to have for it to be called non alcoholic.

• Looks like the max for non alcoholic is 0.5% ABV

• Got a nice chat with these guys last year on a bartender event, PerfectServe in Amsterdam. Whatever they call it, for me it was grassy herbal over flavoured mineral water.

• Is this so complex to make?

Make an incredibly strong extract using maceration, distill, dilute to 0.5% abv.

So, for example, 1 gallon of highly concentrated botanical extract would yield 200 gallons of product.

• edited April 2018

I have to imagine, mixing a "mocktail" with this, you probably aren't using 1-2oz, but significantly more.

• @MokumMoonshine said: Got a nice chat with these guys last year on a bartender event, PerfectServe in Amsterdam. Whatever they call it, for me it was grassy herbal over flavoured mineral water.

Sounds like the hydrosol I drain out of the bottom of my GB4 after an all-in-one gin run.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• @grim you can probably reduce the blending required by distilling to lower proof to start. May be some sweet spot where you get all the effectiveness of the alcohol well below normal bottling proofs. We produce well above bottling strength and blend down over here, so I haven't gotten to play with overloading the extraction capacity of alcohol.

• One thing for sure is it's not a 'spirit' if it has no alcohol.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand