StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Wineo's Apple Pie

edited August 2013 in Cookbook

Couldn't find this here when I looked for it, so I copied it from Artisan. A well and truly proven favorite in the words of Wineo.

Wineo's Basic Apple Pie Recipe

Granny Smith and any red apples
1/4 cup of raisins
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2-3 cinnamon sticks
Any 80-100 proof neutral or corn hearts
  • Cut up apples into wedges leaving out the core and seeds
  • Put raisins and sugar in jar
  • Put equal amounts of both kinds of apples in quart jars (fill them up)
  • Add cinnamon sticks
  • Fill jars with booze, close and shake daily
  • After 4 days remove the cinnamon sticks
  • It will be ready to drink in a week or so, but leaving it for more than a month will make it much better. Some people add a 1/2 cup of sugar, but I like it not as sweet
  • If you make this, make a few jars, because it goes fast

This recipe is for one quart, i quad it and use a 4l (1 gallon) glass cookie jar. I use UJSM.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

Tagged:

Comments

• edited August 2013

No where close to the recipe I used this sounds much better! :)>-

It is what you make it!

• Yep I will be makin up some of this

• So who has tried it? Is it better than the boiled concentrated apple juice and cinnamon stick with sugar? Just looking for honest opinions to see if its worth doin.

• edited August 2013

@Gil_flask said: So who has tried it? Is it better than the boiled concentrated apple juice and cinnamon stick with sugar? Just looking for honest opinions to see if its worth doin.

Not yet,apples are just coming into season,tranparents are ready so should not be long now.

It is what you make it!

• @Gil_flask funny you should mention it but I tried mine last night it is good mine is about 2 weeks old and thought I would just have a little taste I'm guessing about 35%abv my recipe was a little different as I did use what I had in the cupboard

I used cranberries instead of sultanas/raisins Removed 4 cinnamon sticks on day 4 Apples were a red variety that I got from Costco no green ones The color is a lot redder probably because of the craisans I give this recipe the thumbs up Please make more than you think as I'm drinking it straight And this won't last long I plan to take some on holidays so I can share it with family

If there's any left! I have plenty of neautral so will make some more soon As punkin recommended remove cinnamon sooner than later 4 days is good for me I used brown sugar

• I tried it with apple juice (not concentrated), it was not as good as the slo-mo real apple method. Figure on 3 to 4 months for good Apple Pie with fresh apples.

I don't think it is possible to make too much Apple Pie.

• I forgot to mention I added a 350 mil of martinellis apple cider (from Costco ) which diluted it well

• edited October 2013

What do you all do with the apples when done with the drink? Do ya eat them as you go or make a cobbler or toss them?

• Good question @Chalmer i am filtering a bunch of it today and didnt even think to save any apples perhaps a shall make a mean apple pie

• but really im not to sure what to do with them i think blending them would make a god apple sauce for thanks giving

• Yea on the apple sauce to get sauced.. I thought with the raisins it might be good in cobbler or in a pie shell.

• @Gil_flask You mentioned boiled concentrated apple juice...I never biol mine can you ellaborate on your method and advantages or reasons fro boiling? Thanks, Hooch.

• edited November 2013

@Gil_flask yes it is way better. Just tried mine it is way too smooth. Will be great cold from the refrigerator but at 90 proof need lots of restraint not to drink the whole quart. It set on the apples for 5 weeks cinnamon sticks out after 7 days.

Apple pie.jpg
    800 x 451 - 48K
  • @captainshooch said: Gil_flask You mentioned boiled concentrated apple juice...I never biol mine can you ellaborate on your method and advantages or reasons fro boiling? Thanks, Hooch.

I think the one he is talking about is the cider,apple juice,sugar and cinnamon sticks bring to boil then simmer,let cool then add shine..

• @Chalmer I see, I only heat mine until is fairly warm and then simmer but never really bring to a boil. Thanks.

• Yeah just to dissolve sugar there Captain i would say

• Hello @cooperville , its been a while, and yep just enough to melt sugar and start working on cin. sticks. :-bd

• busy as anything around my place mate will be serving the APM in a month with friends so i will have a bit of feed back for everyone I have actually already bottled it and did a piggy back run by just adding more neutral, cinnamon stick and apple cider to see if i can get enough flavor from a second batch with the same apples ??

• @cooperville Let us know how that turns on a second with the apples. Put mine in a Ziploc and then in freezer. Going on a three week trip to Japan so no time to start it now. :-S

• hey Chalmer I live in Japan I will PM you

• made some in a 5L jug, then a 8L jug... next up is to get some of these 25L or so ones filled with apples ;-)

big_mouth_bubbler_6_gallon_carboy.jpg
    376 x 568 - 38K
  • That is a nice solution. Carboys are a pita.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• This is a very solid recipe!

I tried it with a sweet Panella/white sugar rum. Added everything as described, with only the brown sugar (no additional white sugar).

Took the cinnamon out at 5 days. It's been ten days total and WOW!

I sped a half pint up by nuking it with all the ingredients in it. It was good, but not as good as the properly rested stuff.

I sip on it, but others like it with cider. Any other good mixers?

• edited December 2013

I have never tried apple pie hooch so I knocked up a few jars for Xmas. It smells lovely.

I get the feeling I have not made enough

apple_pie.jpg
    600 x 801 - 79K
  • Get it filtered, racked, not cloudy at all in the bottle and get back to us.
    You've done the hard part but not the tricky bit.

Sparkling clean is not so easy with Apple Pie but once it is done the damn stuff is drunk up. Can't ever seem to get ahead of it.

You ever go into a liquor store and see Apple Pie for sale?

• The closest thing I have seen commercially is the winter cider made by Rekorderlig. You have me thinking now why doesnt the liquor store sell apple pie?!

• the best apple commercial drink out there is apple ale by New Glarus in WI, only available in WI, and there is nothing like it on the market... not hard stuff, but literally the best thing out there that everyone tries to imitate.. mixing fruit and alcohol is a bit involved when dealing with the TTB needing volume and strength to be within a gnat's ass of what is on the label... I would like to do it when we are open commercially, hoping that you can show the process of adding a certain known quantity of neutral to the jar, then topping off with other ingredients passes muster..

• I would like to make a nice stainless weight to hold the fruit under... then maybe a press to dry out half of the apples, or maybe try with only half the apples.. this is a 2 gallon jar the wifey picked up for me... I should a put a 'raisin screen' over the spigot... the mason is the last batch aging, the gallon is the berry bliss...

apple_pie2.jpg
    600 x 803 - 114K
  • You could poke a few strands of scrubber in the tap from the inside.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I added hooch to mine two more times with in the first 5 days to keep full right to the top if the jar.I also turned my jars up side down to keep cinnamon in the hooch.Turned out great for mine.Then aged for a few weeks.Removed apples before I came on this trip and will filter when I get back.