A new Take on an old Favourite - Oaked Fire Piss

edited October 2016 in Recipes

I make the FP cinnamon liqueur in the regular way initially i.e. soak a fistful of cinnamon sticks in a litre or so of full strength neutral for 4-6 weeks. At this point I extract 400 mls of maceration and dilute to 40%-ish using Stevia syrup. My twist on the final recipe is to toss in 3 or 4 oak dominos (in this case medium roast French Oak that had been used to age NutriGrain spirit). Even after a few days the dominos have added the complexity the regular FP lacked. Next iteration will be to soak some dominos in the cinnamon maceration before the syrup is added, I am thinking of starting out with 4 days on oak before removing and adding the syrup. Anyone else oaking their liqueurs?

Comments

• I wussed out and only soaked in maceration for 24 hours, first taste is complex smooth and not overoaked

• edited January 2018

Set up a fresh jar of cinnamon bark, an oak domino and 1.2 litres of neutral as the base for a new batch in a few months time. I dilute this down with stevia syrup.

image.jpg
    640 x 800 - 139K
  • edited January 2018

No oak, but I do make a cinnamon "vodka" by infusing cassia bark and licorice root with my GB4. No licorice flavor comes over. The root provides a perception of sweetness. Cinnamon flavor comes over bigly. A two week soak on toasted cherrywood gives it a matching pinkish-red color and a praline-like flavor that comes up under the cinnamon.

I offer it as an after dinner drink. Some of my friends prefer it to my limecello.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Sounds delightful...

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I can see how licorice root would add pleasant mouthfeel; nice suggestion! I used to make a tea with peppermint flakes and licorice root.

• Big difference between licorice root and anise star. I'm convinced that one star can flavor 8 barrels of liquor.

Ask me how I know......

• Licorice root is around 50 times sweeter than sucrose. A little dab'll do ya.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• @FloridaCracker said: Big difference between licorice root and anise star. I'm convinced that one star can flavor 8 barrels of liquor.

Ask me how I know......

I'll "bite".....

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America