StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

New Office

Bought my new/office home lego blocks yesterday. 2 x 20' High Cube (9'6" tall) containers. They are in brand new condition from one of the companies that has them built in China to their design and rents the space on the trip out here, other than that unused.

Just under $10kau for the pair. They're green on the outside (wanted primrose/beige but none available) but light grey on the inside like all containers.

I plan on filling them with my stock in the next couple of weeks and then shipping them full to the new warehouse.
Once there and emptied the work begins getting 4m cut from the side of each 6m container before getting a 4m filler strip welded up to extend the main room to 4m x 6m deep.

This is the basic design, there is a post in the shed about where the desk is that will determine whether the filler module will be 1.2 or 1.8 or maybe even 2.4 deep which would change the proposed fit out a bit. The filler module will be welded steel RHS, i'll see what sizes they have in second grade at good prices when i start. I'll be using as much of the steel panel that comes off the sides of the containers as possible.

Room for a bedroom and an office plus the main large room is really as much room as i live in now in a 4 bedroom house. There is a new kitchen and bathroom already in the warehouse that would be just past where the TV is shown as sitting and would be accessed by either of the southern door sets.

I am still in debate as to whether to have a raised section with windows in the center module, i'll see what the costs are i guess. At this stage i am planning on painting internally and just glossing the plywood floors and using large mats although i may consider bamboo flooring if i don't like the look of the oiled ply.

Considering insulating the walls (or parts of them) with 20mm coolroom panels but it's an expense i may not need so i'll see. It will be fitted with wall mount reverse cycle although i don't expect to really use the heat.

I'll do a picumentry of the build if anyone's interested. I expect the final budget to be somewhere tween $30k and $40k although if full insulation is needed i would expect that to add $8-10k.

The house/office will be transportable if needed with a little cutting and prizing.

Really looking forward to it, a long time since i've done a design/construction project this big.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

Tagged:

Comments

• edited October 2017

This is the house that inspired my tribute.

Containers-of-Hope.jpg
    800 x 506 - 71K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Unless the plywood flooring is rife with knot holes that have popped, you'll be able to make it look quite nice. I stained and varnished a tongue & groove plywood floor in my oldest daughter's room when she was at home and it turned out really well for what it was.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Nah, it's brand new. It's quite good quality although i'll have to fill the recessed screw holes.

• edited December 2017

Work began in earnest yesterday. We moved the empty box into position on Tuesday using the fork lift on one end and a pallet jack on the other.

Yesterday the opening was cut, it's ended up about 3.8m, there is a heavy gauge 50mm post going in where the side corrugations end to support the top rail. I had some 50 x 50 x 6 RHS on my steel rack at home for some reason, so very handy for this.

Got onto some very cheap 89 x 89 x 2.5 downgrade RHS yesterday ($30 per 8m length) so next week the box section/extender will start construction. I'm going with 1.2m width and i'm going back to the 4m length as well as space is a compromise.
    We'll be reusing the panels cut out of the sides to minimise waste as much as possible.

Boxes are very green ATM, but i have a cunning plan for that.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 66K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 82K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 56K
    4.jpg
    800 x 582 - 54K

• So I have to ask, being that you're in the southern hemisphere, do the fan blades rotate in the opposite direction from those in the northern hemisphere? B-)

Looking good.
    Plan for success. Leave room for expansion

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• No they all rotate in the same direction here as far as i know. Mercury made a Duoprop that rotated in the opposite direction, that's the only one i'm familiar with.

Thanks for the kind words, i'm excited with the daily progress i'm making. Most of the stock is unpacked, only 5 pallets to go :))
    Trouble with that is i got my new parts shipment yesterday, 4 tonne of fittings that i don't look like getting to for a little while. I have two 380, 8" Dash systems to pick and pack first.

Plumber coming this morning to install laundry tub and connect water, washer and dryer here in boxes ready to connect up.
    Sparky coming sometime in the next few days to install more power points around the place, welder working full time on my project and the kitchen guys next door working on the extension to the existing kitchen in their spare time.

So much to do, but hopefully have it's back broken by Xmas.

Shopping for sliding glass doors atm.

• Looking great from here :-bd

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• edited December 2017

Thanks mate.

This is my new back yard, the back beach. It's about 4 blocks from my place rather than the 10 blocks to the front beach.

Should have took the 4wd instead of the Rampy, would have saved me walking down the ramp as you can drive along the whole length.
    Anyway the water was fine an hour ago.

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 53K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 44K

• That's some kind of hard living there @punkin.

GoodForYouEnjoy

• edited December 2017

I know that beach @punkin.

Here is a few pictures of my current beach. And its all mine -30km of it and after 4 pm behind a locked gate on one of the best mulloway fishing beaches in OZ. And a zillion acres ( of nothing ). Anyone driving Perth to Adelaide i know where there is a spare bed.

1.jpg
    800 x 533 - 60K
    2.jpg
    800 x 533 - 59K
    3.jpg
    800 x 533 - 84K
    4.jpg
    800 x 533 - 93K
    5.jpg
    800 x 533 - 80K
  • They certainly are and it looks ideal.

• Swell must be up i can hear the ocean this morning.

• edited December 2017

Slow progress as i have been having trouble getting steel at the price i wanted to pay for it, but it's sorted now.

Work started again on Friday with the opening for the bedroom doors going in. Because the sliders i found second hand cheap were longer than i'd bargained for i decided to put the old pub doors i've had for years in the bedroom instead of the front, with the slider then going in the front and one in the office as well.

Started sanding the doors back and thought i'd have a look at the timber under the 50 years of paint.

Turns out it was Oregon, so i thought i'd allow it to shine through. I haven't restored the doors as i still want them to say what they are, so there is wear and tear and bits of paint showing through under the clear coat.

I should have the first one finished and the second one on the sanding bench today.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 63K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 57K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 76K
    4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 78K

• edited December 2017

Got the door furniture at Bunnings hardware today.

5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 83K

• edited December 2017

Introducing Australia's strangest shipping container. AKA section 2 of the office.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 81K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 67K

• am I living in a box...living...living in a box....

there is no music smiley

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• edited December 2017

Box is coming together, moved the second module in yesterday, i need to fill the gaps and spray some paint during the break and then it will be into cutting the second box open to add next week.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 62K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 61K

• Still have a raised section/skylight in the plans?

• Not in the budget at this stage. I'd like to, and if ever it goes outside i think i would.

I'll spend some time in there before deciding i guess, same with insulation and air conditioning. At this stage i am thinking i won't miss either of those things.

• edited December 2017

Doors hung, some work still to do on them, but i'm loving the look. This is my bedroom, not really for dining, sort of reminds me of a train now the doors are on.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 70K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 76K

• edited December 2017

Get a steam generator and a big steam whistle...
    Looong, looong, short, looooong...

• edited January 2018

Floor for the center section is cut ready. I have decided to run bamboo flooring or vynil over the lot rather than play around sanding and staining.

i made a scribe by stickytaping an SD pen to a hinge pin. Crude but it worked.

officefloor1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 52K
    officefloor3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 47K

• looking great mate. you'll be in before you know it.

• edited January 2018

Nother day nother box with a hole in it....

Did have a successful foraging trip though, all the steel for the built in's plus scored another set of french doors, this time out of silky oak (yippee) but without the classy glass. Still (so to speak), 100 fun tickets is not too much to pay for what i think will sand up very well.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 65K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 67K

• edited January 2018

Yeppers. Today's the day that section 3 comes into the shed and is installed. With any luck i'll be able to see the whole thing (sans window) by lunch time.

Viva la modular.

office18.jpg
    800 x 600 - 54K

• Godspeed...

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited January 2018

Looks imposing at the moment. Big job getting the 3rd box in position, trolley jacks wouldn't steer for some reason so we had to muscle it in with the fork lift a foot at a time.

I'll get used to the size of it soon, but when the windows go in the front and it gets it's paint job it will blend in/stand out a bit more.

Front/bedroom door

Back/office door, i need to go two steps to work now.

front side where the windows go;

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 71K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 68K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 81K

• Lookin good Punkin. What room will the dunder pit be in?