StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Crystal Dragon or Dash?

So I've been looking at the different configurations on the SD Europe site.

Couldn't find info in other threads so I'll ask

Is the basic difference between these kits just the ascetics? Or do each have their advantage?

Where I intend to use my still it will require I disassemble it quite often, I do have a knack for breaking stuff so am leaning towards a Dash and less glass.

Please advise

Crystal Dragon or Dash
  1. Crystal Dragon or Dash15 votes
    1. Crystal Dragon
      26.67%
    2. Dash
      73.33%

Comments

• The CD different aesthetics as you have said. It also has less distance between plates at 110mm and 155mm on the Dash.

The Dash has the advantage of robustness. I have had customers contact me to buy replacement lens after rolling the column off a bench or dropping the whole thing before.

The dash is a little easier to disassemble with clamps over nuts.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited November 2017

I got half and half in 5". The Dash is tough and easier to clean and disassemble but the Crystal Dragon is definitely speckie. Well 4 SS and 8 Crystal. As @punkin said the Crystal Dragon is shorter and is much more watched than the Dash - cause you can easily. I kinda like the Crystal Dragon but the robustness of the Dash is definitely a positive.

• Can't get a better review than from someone who owns both. ;)

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• if you disassemble a lot then the Dash.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• edited November 2017

@GD50 said: Crystal Dragon is shorter and is much more watched than the Dash - cause you can easily. I kinda like the Crystal Dragon but the robustness of the Dash is definitely a positive.

If you split the CD section into 2 plate modules, cleaning becomes much easier.

• I have a bunch of both crystal and dash. Go crystal, IMHO enough copper in there plus shorter length plus the eye , visual, with glass is a plus. Not that you need it, but sure nice to have and look at.

• I would say Dash as it’s easier to reconfigure the number of plates without having to take everything apart etc, but if there’s a minimum number of plates you would use most, then that could be your crystal section and add dash sections as and when more plates are needed. There’s pros and cons to both, crystal sections look better and are less expensive to add, just more work involved to add / remove plates.

• edited November 2017

Well I ordered up a Dash anyway:

4" Dash Pro SGK Ported @ StillDragon Europe

Next to learn to use it and figure out how to make some decent rum and maybe a drop of whiskey

• Congrats, you'll get a lot of use out of it and hopefully your grandkids will still be using it in 40 years time.

WithNewGasketsOfCoursePunkin

• @punkin said: WithNewGasketsOfCoursePunkin

Are you suggesting the standard gaskets are not up to the job?

• I'm suggesting that the life expectancy of a consumable such as a gasket is less than 40 years. Our gaskets are silicon which i believe is the best material for this application.

If we thought our gaskets were not up to the job we would design new ones.

• Just a bit paranoid at times, I've spares ordered

• Most silicone have a shelf life of 10 years although in use life can be reduced. Chances are though they will not last as long if you routinely take the joints apart. If you fit and forget, use clean in place and otherwise leave them alone, they may last a LONG time.

• Hi @Username

How many sections did you order?

I’ve been building my 4” Dash for a while now, having a large family soon puts an end to being able to spend big all at once, but I ordered my 4th Dash section last month and I’ve just ordered a 4” Dephlagmator V2, so I’ve now finally completed my build, I’m looking forward to running it and also have a rum to make.

I’m hoping 4 sections will be enough, I’ve done rum with a 6 section baby crystal dragon before, I think I lost a lot of flavour.

• yeah, for rum I would not use more than 3 or 4 plates. Same goes for fruit brandies.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Hi @Anavrin

I understand about the spend, believe me, been saving.

Got 3 sections to start with, we'll see how that works out. Need to learn the basics and want to make flavoured spirit so I thought that was a good starting point. Waiting for my payment to clear and international shipping now, will see how the patience hold up

• Cheers @Sunshine, that's what my reading to date had suggested as well

I reckon I've a bit to learn before I can blame the equipment

• @Username - comes time comes payment ;) we have a lot of orders to process and were only one week out of the office...