Hi there, going to bother you guys with some questions

Been researching and reading for a good while now.

Joined some other forums as well, see some familiar names here, hi @punkin

Almost rushed in to buying a copper set up from eBay to bolt on to my Sanke, just might yet, itching to get going!

I can be a bit impatient but my frugality trumps that, don't mind spending just hate wasting, that's why I'm drawn to the modular set up I guess.

Seen some of the SD gear firsthand at a micro distilling expo in London recently and I was impressed.

I suppose my end game is to learn to distill commercially on a small scale, I've no experience but am a pro brewer, this would be an add on.

Look forward to bending your collective ear, excuse any ridicules questions

Comments

• Welcome. The 4" columns are the best size to complement a 50l keg.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I see a lot of 4" in the pictures on here alright!

Would you also recommend 4" for a simple 50l pot still?

Going by the "configuration" section, I presume a 2" long PC would work ok with a 4" column pot still?

• @Username said: I see a lot of 4" in the pictures on here alright!

Would you also recommend 4" for a simple 50l pot still?

Going by the "configuration" section, I presume a 2" long PC would work ok with a 4" column pot still?

I would. Gives you more options. The 2" long PC has plenty of knock down power for a keg boiler

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Actually while I'm at it, would I be better with a 2"-4" step coming off the top of the keg or coming out directly in 4"?

• Cheers @Smaug, I missed your comment before I posted

• edited November 2017

You don't need the potstill to be 4". The 2" long condensor offers plenty of knockdown (up to 10l an hour). Having a 4" ferrule in your keg and using a 4" reducer has many benefits, including ease of access to the inside of the keg and being able to upgrade to a plated column in the future. You can reuse all the 2" potstill parts in your 4" column and save the cost of buying those parts.

It would be handy to have a drain on the keg. Also element ports, view port and refill port.

That's why we designed the milk can, by the time you pay someone to weld all those fittings to your keg you have spent the money it costs to buy a shiny milk can that already has all the fittings.
    I used to offer new kegs converted but they sold so slowly compared to the milk cans that i stopped offering them. The cans are just better value.

Disregard of course if you can do your own stainless welding and get the keg .....cheap....cough cough.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Having a brewery, access to a keg is the easy part ;)