Corn Wash

This is probably going to sound like a stupid question but I started a couple of 200L corn washes using straight corn and enzymes and everything is going really well and the temp has been about 24°C in the wash for the last 5 days.

Its bubbling and churning, no lacto, smelling great ( actually smelling high in alcohol) so I have a question when do I strip it ?? When it stops bubbling ??

Its going really well and I don't want to strip it early.

Comments

• Specific gravity hydrometer - when it gets to 1.000 or lower.

If you used glucoamylase, you should have no problem going below 1.000

• You'll see the cap drop when it's done too. But a hydrometer is handy at first.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @grim and @punkin, thanks guys. I used alfa amylayse and Glucoamylase as well. The wash looks and smells great. I will have to run the first one tomorrow.

• edited October 2017

Straight corn with no adjunct grain, you'll rarely see much late lactic activity, since you've basically sterilized the whole batch.

Lacto good, not bad. We purposely inoculate batches with specific strains of lacto.

Next time throw a few handfuls of malt in during cool down and see if you can tell the difference at the end of fermentation. Not because the tiny percentage of malt makes any difference (don't even bother to mill it), but because malt is typically covered in LAB.

• edited October 2017

Mashing Corn with Steam Injection @ AD

Best guide i ever saw for making lacto starters. I've tried it and it works exactly as described.

Pint is a legend.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Just as another question. I just did my stripping run on this wash and I get about 25 litres of strip at about 20%. The yield seems pretty light. It was a 200l run. Do corn washes have a low yield in comparison to Barley or other grains???

• What was your starting gravity and final gravity?

• My starting gravity was 1.050 finishing was around 1.000. But it was a straight corn wash so from what I understand its the starting gravity is not that accurate correct ?

• As long as you don't have a ton of solids in your hydrometer flask, it's plenty accurate.

Mashed bourbon today - 70% corn 2lb/gallon on total volume. 1.067 SG.

• edited October 2017

You guys are great. If I was going to have another kid I would call him StillDragon forum.

• @DonMateo said: You guys are great. If I was going to have another kid I would call him StillDragon forum.

Lol...

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America