StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

StillDragon Academy of Fine Spirits 2018

Hi all,

Since my last visit to our customers in the UK we have come to the conclusion that we will setup a seminar for our professional distillers.

It is all work in progress until this point, here are the planned topics so far (if there is a topic, you would like to hear about, please let me know, if it is missing here):

• organoleptic testing of spirits
  • the right oak and how to use it
  • the impact of tasting glasses to a spirit
  • find wrong tones/determine mistakes
  • fruit spirits
  • Gin
  • tasting of spirits from the participants and discussing them
  • vacuum distillation and the benefits/ downsides of it for the taste of products

The venue will be most likely in London and as estimated time we think of the week before Easter Sunday 2018 (please see updated information below).

I think will will be able to fit the seminar in 3 or 4 days, of course you can book only one part, if you are not interested in all of the topics.

We are currently in the process to win over some scientists and lecturers, who are very highly regarded in the distilling business in Europe for this event.

As you know me, I am all about quality and the art of distilling, we strive to have a high class course, which will be both educating and beneficial for you and your business, so there is only a limited quantity of tickets - please get in touch with me soon.

The price is not set yet.

Please send me a PM if you are interested!

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

Comments

• of course we welcome also customers from overseas!

It seems, London is a nice place for a city trip - why not combine some holidays with a distilling seminar? At least you can deduct the travel costs from your income tax - right? :bz

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Great idea mate, sounds like a fun time.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• well, we will sure have fun. :) I am looking forward to visiting the English pubs I like so much.

The main thing is, it will be a high quality seminar with lecturers that are on the very high end, of what you can think of in the distilling scene.

The spirits of the participants will be discussed also, it might be a rare chance to have a real pro to look at it. I am really exited about this event.

• Wish I could make it. All of the distillation "universities" that we see around here sound like they're aimed at someone other than me, seeming heavy on bullshit and light on technology and technique. And pricey!

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• edited October 2017

Not everything in the UK is about London.
    Consider us northern guys.

Muhammadmountain1.jpg
    300 x 401 - 25K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited October 2017

@punkin you are a funny guy.

• edited October 2017

@Rawlings said: @punkin you are a funny guy.

Always good for some belly laughs!

Fun Guy.jpg
    236 x 302 - 13K

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Pick On The Punkin week rolled round quick this month.

• Or belly cramp with those. There is plenty in the paddock where he is moving too.

• Never a cramp with those ones. Plenty of belly laughs though. My favorite of any, and all indigenous Florida flora.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Our magics are loaded with strychnine but as you say plenty of laughs. No more for this black duck though.

• we have confirmed the week for the Seminar: week 13 2018

• Hi like your idea of a academy in the uk.but why London? its very expensive to get to and stay. also a more central part of the uk would be better (its 600 miles from northern Scotland which has the most gin distillers) just a thought. mickyfinn

sorry forgot I'm interested in coming

• I agree, my vote goes to Newcastle - halfway the UK, lot cheaper than London...

• hey I am open for everything. But first I have to count, how many people actually come and from where.

We cannot make it right for everyone, that is for sure. I am still in the planning phase. @Rawlings has given me some very good ideas, we will follow this also...

• btw, when it comes to hotels I did not see much difference from London and the rest of the UK. I was astonished, what a simple hotel room costs on the country side. No bargains at all!

Considering that London is also easy to reach for most people from abroad, it is not a bad choice.

• Hi some smaller hotels & b&b are ok the more north you go.also most people in uk will use the train for London due to parking and if you look at the prices you will see its lots cheaper to fly from Europe than one way on the train to London. Birmingham, Newcastle,East Midland.& Doncaster/sheffield.even Humberside can be good airports to use a few with only small towns near them just a thought cheers

• edited October 2017

I am very exited to announce that @crozdog will be lecturing the Gin part of our seminar. If you have any suggestions, what you would be most interested in, please let me know!

• this is like when someone from the distilling royalty comes in for the seminar...

• I'm excited to be part of this. Looking forward to meeting lots of you.

• Good on you Croz, have fun guys.

• Noyce. I'm sure you'll hit it out of the park Croz...

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited January 2018

so date is fixed:

28th - 30th of March 2018 (please see updated info below)

I am pleased to announce, that Mr. Prof. HR Dipl-.Ing. Dr. Manfred Gössinger

Head of department fruit processing
    Vice director
    Klosterneuburg Education and research center for viticulture and
    pomology Klosterneuburg Wienerstrasse 74, 3400 Klosterneuburg, Austria

will be lecturing.

He is a legend.

His field is distillation, vacuum distillation and he is also judge in many well known distilling competitions....

• Hi Sunshine pleased to see dates are sorted do we know where it will be held?

• Dear Reader,

Unfortunately this event will have to be postponed due to scheduling conflicts.

The next possible opportunity will most likely present itself around the Craft Distilling Expo in October.

We will keep you updated.

We are sorry for the inconvenience and hope for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sunshine