StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Whats in your Glass?

1232425262729»

Comments

• edited September 2017

One of everything

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 160K
  • Wow, now that's a tasting platter I could go for!

What have we got? Gin? Vodka? Looks like something coffeeish at the end?

• Much too much Reposada.

I'm burping tequila burps this morning.

NeverKnowWhenToStopPunkin

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Aristocrat!! Its true. Slumming it up with me boi Jeff....

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Is your Boi in your Krew?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: Is your Boi in your Krew?

Why yes,,,he is. How the hell did you know that?

• edited October 2017

WAG.

That's dope.

• edited October 2017

MBC's Big Swell IPA is really good.
    Mosaic Mo Betta WAY mo bettah kine!

Mo bettah beeah.jpg
    785 x 800 - 96K

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited October 2017

Pirate Life is one of the best breweries in Australia in my opinion. They also do a Mosaic IPA that is a cracker of a beer. Unfortunately the only place i can get it here is the craft beer bar where it goes for $16 a can.

Pirate Life Mosaic IPA

mosaic.jpg
    800 x 800 - 144K

• edited October 2017

MBC's Mosaic Mo'Betta IPA - $7.65/4-pack 12oz (355mL) cans at Costco. With GET they were just under $2/can.

I bought a case. Thirsty surfers demolished the case. 2 left (I hid them).
    Sold out at Costco now. :(

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• @grim said: 51% Corn, 49% Millet.

Grim, I somehow missed this one. How did the millet turn out?

• edited January 2018

@punkin You wont need too many of those to turn your into a proper pirate @ 7% @ 500ml. I have been trying to get some as well with no luck in the country.

I have been enjoying Cricketers Arms Session Ale for a mid beer. A mid with taste.

• edited January 2018

Came out great but millet is a fairly unique beast, after aging it's a somewhat polarizing spirit. The people that like it really like it, the people that don't, don't. That said, they are expecting a traditional flavor profile, and it's not that.

The consensus from a couple of hundred tasters at our bar is that it's very flavorful, big pop of flavor up front, somewhat assertive in character, big spice. There is a really interesting herbal quality to it, as well as a kind of tea-like character that seems to really be amplified from the oak tannin. These herbal and tea-like characters are the biggest factors from those who don't care for it. You would think at 51% corn, it would be largely bourbon, but the impact of the 49% is rather substantial. This is why we do all the alt-grain bourbons with these big secondary-grain percentages.

The big flavor pop makes it very interesting in cocktails, where we use in in conjunction with other spices or spice-based syrups. The herbal quality really makes the spices and fruit pop. We do an apple cider based cocktail that is a complete fail with bourbon, but incredible with the millet.

To make it a straight sipper as a bourbon, I would probably drop the millet percentage a bit, and add a third grain. The herbal quality and assertive pop of flavor up front would work with rye I think.

We labeled under Bourbon, which restricted our use of cooperage. If I didn't care about such things, I think some of the lighter floral and fruit flavors of the new make distillate would stand up better to a used bourbon barrel, or perhaps a shorter stay in toasted oak.

• edited December 2018

Missed it but Nov 30 was Japanese Mirin ( Hon Mirin) day. Made up for it with a glass or two and a terriaki / mirin baked chicken with Yuzu juice.

japanese_hon_mirin_day.jpg
    800 x 600 - 106K
  • So a revelation tonight. Talking to my sweet pea over a drink or two Friday night dinner. Telling her about the movement of empty casks around the world. Bourbon casks to England. English to America. Spanish to Argentina etc. So decided had enough beer and she poured herself a Diplomatico reserva exclusive on ice. Telling her that Spanish Solero sherry casks go to Argentina for ageing their rum. Actually I thought it was their more upmarket version.

So I had to have one as well and to prove a point I brought down a Valdespino Solera 1842 20 year old Oleroso sherry. I never go on with this and it’s probably been in bottle here 10 years

Well the similarities in flavour are unmistakable. Most definitely one is a rum and one a sherry but a tiny drop of the sherry on the tongue and the background is so similar. I know others like this rum but every sip bring a “ familiarity “ in taste I may have finally pin pointed. I certainly have not had a better rum without going ridiculously expensive.

• edited January 2020

If you like an Amaro you will like the vermouth on the right. Very nice but has that herbal bitter edge.

image.jpg
    800 x 600 - 110K
  • @GD50 said: If you like an Amaro you will like the vermouth on the right. Very nice but has that herbal bitter edge.

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Amaros have become my new favorite thing as an adjunct for proper whiskey cocktails.

• @Smaug. Me too. They work great in cocktails but I like the Amaros as an after dinner digestive straight and now I use the amaro like vermouth for mixing or pre dinner.

• Antica is my go to for Manhattans.

We are working on dealcolyzing in the rotovap to use in the tasting room legally.

• edited January 2020

? Dealcolyzing @grim

• I have never heard of that term and when I search it nothing comes up except there are pictures of a Rotovapp and the process of solvent removal. I guess it is a specific product term. Makes sense

• edited January 2020

We can’t serve outside alcohol, so the goal is to remove the alcohol while preserving as much of the flavor as possible.

So for a Martini with a dry vermouth or a Manhattan with a sweet vermouth - can’t do it. Distillery can’t legally even make a vermouth since it’s a product of a winery.

It’s tricky because you need to be able to reintroduce what would be considered the “heads” cut. Realized that this is an absolutely critical step.

You need to remove the alcohol as gently as possible, otherwise you end up with a well cooked product, hence the rotovap.

• @grim. That is tricky. Would have thought it would be possible to use a minor percentage of “ outside”. Does the ruling go down to the anal ie bitters etc.

• If you made a vermouth and added 1 drop of distilled spirits to it, it is now a distilled spirit, according to the TTB, correct?

I say make that vermouth-style Distilled spirits specialty.....

• edited January 2020

Technically I could mix a ready-to-drink cocktail (using vermouth as a component) as a Distilled Spirits Specialty, bottle it, transfer it out of bond into the tasting room, and serve it.

I know a few guys doing barrel aged Manhattan RTDs to bypass this.

No outside at all, but bitters not considered an alcoholic beverage here.