Boiler Pressure During Run

edited August 2017 in General

I am running a 5" dia column with 4 SS ProCaps and 8 Crystal ProCaps and generally run around 7000W after heat up. Has anyone measured their boiler pressure build up during the run ? It must be a bit but not sure how much . I have all the equipment to measure it but no access port available to connect a manometer. Only curious to see what it may be.

Tagged:

Comments

• add up all the plate depths, convert from water column to PSI/bar , multiply by your alcohol's specific gravity, and that is your pressure... my guess is you are at less than 12" water column, which is about 0.5 PSI

• Was really wondering about the pressure effect on boiling temp. If it is only about 0.5 psi that would only increase boiling temp by around 0.5 degree which is negligible in the scheme of things. I actually figured if i remove a temp probe i could fit my manometer to test. Will do that next time but it will be a while till next spirit run.

Thanks for answer.

• Measures a hair over atmospheric on my boiler pressure gauge with 4 12" plates, no liquid extenders.

I don't even bother with the gauge anymore, since I use one port for the sprayball, and the other for the temp probe.

• @CothermanDistilling said: add up all the plate depths, convert from water column to PSI/bar , multiply by your alcohol's specific gravity, and that is your pressure... my guess is you are at less than 12" water column, which is about 0.5 PSI

Older article, but wanted to find the proper thread to report my update on...

I hooked up my Analog 0-5V /0-30PSI pressure transducer @ eBay (eBay search 5V PRESSURE TRANSDUCER SENSOR STAINLESS STEEL 30-500PSI) that I have on a 2" end cap for my bain-marie to my single wall column still and it is wired up to the Analog input of the Arduino Mega2650 in my BruControl setup... showed between 0 and .5psi during the entire run... I may get a lower psi one to get some resolution for my panel and have an extra safety that alarms before the 7 or 15psi one hits...

image.jpg
    488 x 432 - 34K