StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Whats in your Glass?

Comments

• edited August 2017

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 68K
  • edited August 2017

Damn it's nice on the rocks. At 50 proof, drinks like water. Distilled on the bleeding edge of vodka.

• edited August 2017

Was about to ask what proof that was. Roku is on the rocks. You can also make a Hoppy ( mixed with beer ) or mix that with oolong tea for traditional drinks but best Roku. Shochu is good and generally only 25 to 35 ABV The Japanese also have a really beautiful tea pot which is used with this brew when they have it with hot water or with tea. I more like the black style rather than the porcelain clover style teapots.

Of course there is many varieties and can be made with the addition of sweet-potato or carrot so a multitude of flavours.

• edited August 2017

Dang, they don't care much for copper..

1.jpg
    800 x 639 - 74K
    2.jpg
    800 x 698 - 81K
  • No way this stuff is single pot stilled.

• Just one second here, those stills are VACUUM?!?

• edited August 2017

Are those still related to the bottle of Shochu. Bloody hell. The Japanese have a dedication to the old craft handmade skills - such as their knives and say pottery plus food. I have huge collection of handmade damascas and blue steel kitchen knives. But they also have a dedication to perfection in new technology.

• Yeah, that's the distillery. They say it's distilled single pass, but it's a blend of vacuum and atmospheric distillation.

I'm really impressed if this is pot stilled, and at 20 bucks a bottle too. I mean, at 25% abv, it's mostly water, but damn if it's really light and delicate. I would have imagined this was distilled off in the low 90s.

• Air. I'm playing Taxi for a bunch of teenagers :((

• Water. You gotta keep hydrated.

• It was hotter'n hell here, yesterday, at least for us, and on occasion we had two propane burners going in the stillhouse. I don't usually come home to a drink, but yesterday the idea of a tall gin and tonic with our Mortal Gin sounded like heaven. Of course it had to have enough gin to balance the quinine flavor, so I did.

Candy-ass old fart, I felt it enough that I wouldn't drive. 30-year old me had to be laughing his ass off at me (from his time machine).

Damned fine G&T, though.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• Last year's peach brandy, nice with 1 cube!

• Aldi Brandy hot toddy as im sick and it only had two shots left in the bottle

• 4 Grain Whisky and Sprecher Cola

• More of my gin with some Rose's and tonic.

• Honey Bear Bourbon (what's left of it) long story short, went away for a weekend to come home and find my oldest had a hella party.

well, they drank 4.25 gallons of my bourbon and I had 3/4 gal left.

Bad part is I made good cuts and they probably didn't get the hangover they deserved.

• Good story with a happy ending. I used to worry about high proof, good thing they found your sipping proof stuff and not your ageing proof stuff.

Could have been a very different ending.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• it was aging proof 125p

I had it in 5- 1 gal jugs with the oak in in it.

I found my oak in the floor in the barn with jugs all about.

I think they sucked the oak dry. lol

its all good, my son has the luxury of coming with me to the brew shop to buy me more grains. I think I need to do a 55 gal ferment this time.

• this batch goes in a new 5 gal barrel up in the attic.

• edited September 2017

Was going to put it in a glass wit ice and 1/2 slice of unsqueezed lime but it's too good to pollute. I have a Ron Zacappa as well but will need to drink a bit more of this to decide but this is possibly better. Or just different.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 76K
  • @GD50 - I love that diplomatico green label, awesome for the price... (and wonder if I should hoard it with what is going on in Venezuela) got to try that alongside 2 others at Miami Rum Fest, they had a clear one that was basically that bottle but 'carbon settled', the local liquor store got one special ordered for a friend who was with for the tasting, he is bringing it up one evening soon to share as thanks for me lending him a generator to save 5 freezers of food during the hurricane...

• I found a pic and researched.... it was called Planas here is a blurb I found online: "...new white rum called Diplomático Planas, which replaces the Blanco vintage. It retains the features of the previous rum (a mix of 50% of light and intermediate rums and 50% of complex or heavy rums, aged for “up to 6 years” and charcoal filtered), but it is targeted to mixologists and sets itself apart with its ABV; at 47%, it is clearly aimed at Tiki drinks, but it is also a genuine gourmet rum with fruity and creamy flavors that provide a perfect base for creating dry or sweet cocktails.

2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 108K
  • Jefferson's Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey Very Small Batch, a birthday gift. Very nice stuff.

• Get me out of the big smoke fast. There is just too much to excite a bastard from the bush when I come to town. Thankfully Dan Murphys did not have my sweet peas favourite arak as I had spent enough.

• @GD50 said: Get me out of the big smoke fast. There is just too much to excite a bastard from the bush when I come to town. Thankfully Dan Murphys did not have my sweet peas favourite arak as I had spent enough.

You live somewhere that doesn't have a Dan's?!? Good god man, do you live on the moon? =))

• Just got Dans here last year.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: Just got Dans here last year.

In Tamworth? I woulda thought they'd sown that up long ago.

• edited September 2017

@GD50, I have an idea of your geographic's now. It's a tough problem to solve. One thing I'm sure of though, the govt is not the body equipped to do so.

• @GD50 enjoy whatever is in your glass.. cheers!!

• Man some times I dont miss Oz. Two weeks ago I bought 30 litres of pure ethanol in 1 litre bottles and all I had to show was a thousand argentine pesos. Australia. The ultimate nanny state. Makes me happy I am setting up in argentina. That being said I still call Australia home.