StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Column Still

Sorry for being very new to this.

What ABV would we expect to get if we started say with 9% ABV wash after the first run through a column still?

I believe it would be round about 40% ABV is this correct, and would we then expect to get around 94% on a second run through the column?

Comments

• Plated column or packed? If packed packing height? If plated number of plates?

More likely to be in the 90 percent range either way on your first run.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Hi Punkin

Plated column with six plates 4 inch column with a 9% wash

• You'd have a really hard time getting it under 90%.

• Yup ditto grim. The spread between consecutive runs thru a column is much smaller than you'd think. More like 1-3%.

Also when you do your second run at a bare minimum you need to make sure that over the entire course of the run that the heating elements stay completely immersed. Better still, (and more efficient) if you adjust the ABV of the boiler charge to ~27% then proceed normally.

• edited July 2017

thank you all for the info provided.

We're putting our column together and was wondering what the 3 items circled in red as for and where to place them?

i have attached the picture with the 3 items circled

Cheers

4-inch-dash-pro-sg-2..jpg
    600 x 600 - 51K
  • edited July 2017

it's typical that after i post this i find what i am looking for

procap.jpg
    380 x 285 - 12K
  • good that you have found it. If you have more questions, no problem.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• So those are "Flow Directors". We try and heavily populate the plate(s) with bubble caps to insure a maximum amount of through put.

The Flow Director allows the user to aim falling liquid to an open area on the plate below, and as such insures against a loss of distillation cycles as well as minimizing smearing via entrainment.

Optimally speaking, you don't want liquid being potentially deposited directly into the downcomer on the plate below.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• AKA: dingle-dangle thingies...

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Hi there anybody have a good contact in the UK for the supply of botanicals searched the web but not found many decent suppliers ???? and a thank you to Smaug for the last explanation it really helped. cheers

• @HSBC said: Hi there anybody have a good contact in the UK for the supply of botanicals searched the web but not found many decent suppliers ???? and a thank you to Smaug for the last explanation it really helped. cheers

Beacon Commodities Wholesale Suppliers

I know some London based distilleries do a lot of business with them.

• Beacon supply in pretty large quantities, many of their products are available in smaller amounts via Just Ingredients

• @punkin . Slipped this question in here. I want to put a 500 mm 5" packed section on my 12 plates for a try. Will have to cut shed roof but that's ok. To keep the PC or parrot in the same place I will need either 500mm length of 2" in the vapour path before PC or a 500mm length of 19 mm after PC before parrot. What do you recommend.

• @geoff400 said: Beacon supply in pretty large quantities, many of their products are available in smaller amounts via Just Ingredients

Cheers Geoff. Just Ingredients look very promising

• @GD50 you could do either. the 3/4" is a bit cheaper than the 2".

If you put the surge breaker (2" - 3/4" reducer with the holes) on the bottom of the PC, you'd be ok IMHO to use the 3/4" extension to the parrot

• The only problem with the 3/4" I see is it may desensitise the parrot reading but in the end irrelevant.

• why would the reading be any different if the parrot is connected by an extension or directly to the surge breaker?

• The parrot will read 96% all the way to nearly tails so it wouldn't matter really what it said as @GD50 says. The 3/4 will be a bit cheaper to do as @crozdog says. In the end it's whichever you like the aesthetics of really.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Id get the 2" pipe. 2" pipe is more versatile and later on you might get an idea for something else you need/want (like maybe a carbon filter system)

• @mark85. I got the ducks nuts carbon filter setup already as per photos in filter thread and yes it used shit loads of 2" fittings. Works great. Might go the 2" though.

@crozdog I was thinking because of the volume of liquid held up in there but rethinking it isn't going to be full just a stream in the 3/4"