Pomelo Flavor for Gin

edited June 2017 in Recipes

Just asking the group if anyone has tried Pomelo with Gin?

Its a citrus and I was wondering if people have made some gin with it and how the do it.

I would imagine it would be just like any lemon or orange in that you just use the outer peel to give the flavor???

Tagged:

Comments

• No but as per my post in Whats In Your Glass looking at doing similar with Yuzu Citrus. Wish i was in Adelaide for weekend as the guy is releasing his Yuzu brew on World Gin day tomorrow.

• Yum Pomelo, yeah I reckon that should work! Whoa the skins mostky have such a thick layer of white pith. Is anyone trying citrus leaves apart from Kaffir Lime? I am also eyeing off Cumqat for the skin.

• Looks interesting. I see Wikipedia indicates that it is part of the grapefruit family

• Yes, The reason why I ask is they drink a lot of it in Argentina and I want to use it in my Gins. Might as well give the punters what their taste buds are used to. I was thinking of mixing Pomelo juice as well but that will give it a cloudy white look. That and Pomegranite juice. Now I just have to keep kicking my tank guy to finish my boilers.

• edited June 2017

With a pith that large, I would imagine you'd want to remove only the skin layer from the outer edge of the pith to maximize the oils and flavor quantity, and reduce some of that pithy bitterness. Otherwise, I don't see any reason it wouldn't work just fine, the amount/type of citrus in gin is a personal preference type thing, so I'd imagine you'll have lovers and haters no matter what you do.

It doesn't scale commercially, but using a microplane, I've found, makes a massive difference in the quality of the citrus. I've done it for limoncello and orangecello, and it really lets the citrus shine with a minimal amount of bitterness.

• @grim thanks very much. Your a winner mate.

• I use pomelo as an aid to digestion; a refreshing palate cleanser after a heavy meal. I can buy them at our local markets at $1 each when they are in season. These are the largest fruit of all citrus and a real favourite of mine. I am not sure about how much character the zest would add in a gin. The skin of a pomelo has less of a citrusy odour and more of a musty earthy spicy odour. We have a citrus hybrid here called Lemonade. It is shaped much like an orange, a bit smaller maybe but with a thin green skin, now there's a peel worth investigating!

• edited June 2017

The Chinese word for Yuzu means pomelo. Very similar thing. But Yuzu is the "chefs in thing "

A few American beers are also made with Yuzu as a component and the Japanese do a spirit called yuzukomachi which is like a citrus gin.

• @GD50 thanks mate, Your a walking dictionary. Let me know if you try some, I would love to know what it is like.

• edited June 2017

Might be interesting to explore steam distilllation to extract the citrus oils and then using the oils in the masceration and gin distillation.

Tried playing around with this and I think it can be an interesting way to ensure tight batch consistency. Perhaps any more efficient use of the whole peel too.

• Microplane ain't my idea, but I agree 100% it's brilliant.

Now what to do with all the juice?

• edited June 2017

@kimbodious said: I use pomelo as an aid to digestion; a refreshing palate cleanser after a heavy meal. I can buy them at our local markets at $1 each when they are in season. These are the largest fruit of all citrus and a real favourite of mine. I am not sure about how much character the zest would add in a gin. The skin of a pomelo has less of a citrusy odour and more of a musty earthy spicy odour. We have a citrus hybrid here called Lemonade. It is shaped much like an orange, a bit smaller maybe but with a thin green skin, now there's a peel worth investigating!

We have a large lemonade tree in the backyard. Gets watered regularly by the boys and myself.

It holds fruit about 10 months of the year and we use a lot. It's a really heavy cropper. I have used the juice and pulp and skins and leaves to make a Vodka sugar wash.

Punkins Lime Vodka @ AD

It would make a fine base for your neutral on a small scale.

To get the most of citrus peel use a corn remover from the chemist, they are only a couple bucks, leave the pith behind and a whole lot faster than a microplane.

@GD50 the new one from Roland would want to be a lot better than the other Yuzu gin i've tried, Jinzu.

Jinzu Gin @ Harvey Nichols

Although in fairness i should dig the bottle out from the back of the shelf and give it another try before dismissing it forever.

Pedicure Callus Shaver.jpg
    800 x 600 - 51K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited June 2017

A potato peeler works great if you don't have a microplane or zester, or bunion remover for shaving zest.

FWIW I've tried pumelo zest in gin. It is less than spectacular IMHO.

I really like fresh murrcott tangerine skin the best. I got the push to use fresh citrus peel from Hendricks. I had been thinking about it. Tasting Hendricks convinced me it is a good idea, so I did it. The volatiles in the fresh peel carry through nicely.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• @punkin . Seen whats in that though as it is yuzu and sake. While i use a fair bit of sake i think the flavor would completely confuse gin.