Hello from London!

Hi there, After being fascinated by the brewing and distilling industries for quite some time, I'm looking to hopefully set up a micro-distillery in London within the next 12 months, predominantly focusing on gin distilling. If anyone has any advice for the first-timer, or are thinking of producing their own gin too, please do say hello! Tom

Comments

• Welcome, Gin is good and Gin is the easiest (at least to start out due to loose regulations if using bought base alcohol aka NGS). Have a look at the fabulous The StillDragon® Gin Basket Operation Manual in our The StillDragon Operation Manuals sticky.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Hi, Gin is REALLY popular in the UK right now. Even Majestic Wine Warehouse had some tasting samples that I took too much advantage of yesterday. The local watering hole annual Gin Festival is coming up in August, and is boasting more than 15 distilleries and 80 varieties to sample. It sold out for the Friday within hours.

• Look at your financials, set your distributor/wholesale and retail pricing models, understand the market, create a brand that targets your market price point. Understand and use social media and PR and branding talent. Know your financial and business limits before you start! I could go on but you get my drift?

• If you're based in London attend the annual Craft Distilling Expo London. Nice organisation, attendants are mostly small craft distillers, very good workshops etc. For me it was an eye opener how the professionals in the UK are looking to the market and how they shared information and opportunities.

From my experience start with SD products, fair price, good products and the SD community is very supportive. There are a lot of fancy suppliers on the market, don't get attracted by all the computer managed ultra modern shiny stuff for a 500 or 1000 liter still.

The owner of my distillery wanted choose for an other supplier at the end, I regret that every day even though everybody loves the products that I produce with my pot still.

• @TheMechWarrior said: Look at your financials, set your distributor/wholesale and retail pricing models, understand the market, create a brand that targets your market price point. Understand and use social media and PR and branding talent. Know your financial and business limits before you start! I could go on but you get my drift?

Absolutely - lots to think about it!

• edited June 2017

@MokumMoonshine said: If you're based in London attend the annual Craft Distilling Expo London. Nice organisation, attendants are mostly small craft distillers, very good workshops etc. For me it was an eye opener how the professionals in the UK are looking to the market and how they shared information and opportunities.

From my experience start with SD products, fair price, good products and the SD community is very supportive. There are a lot of fancy suppliers on the market, don't get attracted by all the computer managed ultra modern shiny stuff for a 500 or 1000 liter still.

The owner of my distillery wanted choose for an other supplier at the end, I regret that every day even though everybody loves the products that I produce with my pot still.

Awesome advice - thanks. The expo looks awesome - hopefully see you there!

• @twrigley37 said:Awesome advice - thanks. The expo looks awesome - hopefully see you there!

Not this year, probably next year. But if you are in Amsterdam you're welcom to have a drink or two ;)

• Hi Tom, I am in West London and in the transition from craft brewing to distilling craft gin. Currently playing with recipes and looking for premises. Best advice I can give is ensure a solid business plan in place ready for your license application. They really need to understand your model will work if on a small scale.

• Be prepared to not make money for what appears (here in the states) to be no less than 3 years......

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Make money? What's that?

• mon·ey

ˈmənē/

noun

a current medium of exchange in the form of coins and banknotes; coins and banknotes collectively.

"I counted the money before putting it in my wallet"

synonyms:cash, hard cash, ready money; More

formal

sums of money.

plural noun: moneys; plural noun: monies

"a statement of all moneys paid into and out of the account"

the assets, property, and resources owned by someone or something; wealth.

"the college is very short of money"

synonyms:wealth, riches, fortune, affluence, assets, liquid assets, resources, means

"she married him for his money"

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Yeah, ain't none of that for sure.

• Fun Tickets!

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand