2" or 4"

Hello,

I am getting ready to purchase and build a 50L/13 gal milk still, but want to make sure I get the right one for my needs & wants.

I currently have a T-500 that I have been using for a little over a year that I am in the process of selling.

The T500 takes me around 5 hours to complete a run of the 25L/ 6 gal batch, but I spend the first hour or so, waiting on the 120v, 1600w element to bring the temps up to get things to start flowing.

From what I have been reading it should take around 35 min to get temps up to get things to start flowing in the 50L/13 gal milk can when using one 240v, 5500w element with the controller kit, but I am wondering how long it will take to finish batch through each of these setup’s.

2” Baby Dragon

4” ProCap Crystal Dragon

Anybody have a rough idea on time?

I just want to make sure that I will not be spending 10 hours trying to run a batch with a 2” when I could have done the same amount of work in 4 hours with the 4”.

I realize the 4” will do more work than the 2” in the same amount of time, but just looking for a comparison between the two on the same boiler.

My heart is leaning with the Baby Dragon but I just want to make sure before purchasing it.

I am hoping that I can run the 50L/13Gal batch through the Baby Dragon in around 5 hours witch will do just right for me and keep everything small.

I have been looking on the forum but have not looked in the proper place as of yet.

All input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• The Ace of Hearts will do around 1.2l/gr output. The Dash will do around 4-4.5l/hr with procaps. Assuming you have a 10% wash thats 5l total alcohol, 6 hours with the Ace 1.5 with the Dash.

I have a lot of Ace owners trading up after their first year.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Go the larger @SittingDuck. As @punkin pointed out you'll be wanting to upgrade in less than a year if you go the baby. The 4" is the perfect size for the 50L boiler.

Cheers,

Mech.

• edited June 2017

Dont forget it is modular so start big but small and add bits as the money is available. Better a big but simple base unit that will do what you want and add. The worst bit is money wasted so aim for the top but slowly. Totally depends on you cash supply.

• if you live in a small apartment or rent a room or other small space or move a lot, get the baby dragon... in you have a house and a garage or shed and do not move a lot, get the dash...

• IIRC my numbers for a 4 plate 4" with 50l@5500w were really close to punkins quote.

43 min heat up

~3.5 hrs total run time including heat up (from wine) produces about 4l of 89-92% corrected

When i added a second 4500w element and a super dephlegmator things got much faster. Adding a 500mm section of mesh will go a long way to cleaning up a neutral too. 4 plates with optional 500mm would be cool and more effective and cheaper than 6 plates for a home system IMO.

• @CothermanDistilling said: if you live in a small apartment or rent a room or other small space or move a lot, get the baby dragon... in you have a house and a garage or shed and do not move a lot, get the dash...

Good advice there and that was the exact reason the Ace of Hearts was designed. For those who live in apartments/flats.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited June 2017

Thanks for the input.

I am getting my questions answered and also learning quite a bit too.

Greatly appreciated!

• ClothermanDistilling is dead right there. A point that I had not considered.

• When considering space, don't forget it's not just the still you need to consider. You also need space for fermenter(s), test gear, raw materials, collection jars, fores & feints and finished product. That all takes more space than the still itself

• edited June 2017

Just to chime in my $0.02 and to second what @punkin said... I currently have a 4" column running 4 sets of ProCaps. I aim for a target ABV between 85-90. My take off rate at this ABV is just over 5 litres per hour.

Also just a though for future upgrades. With a 2" column there is pretty much no scope for a boiler upgrade. Unless you course you plan on running it ALL day. With a 4" you still have the potential to upgrade you boiler.

I started out with a 4" on a 50L boiler. Recently upgraded to a 4" on a 150L boiler.

PS be sure to keep the t500 boiler, they make a great storage vessel and oversized decanter.

• Yeah and winter solstice { at least in our neck of the woods } is coming up and you could use it to make gluhwein and get plastered. You could even put some of your first batch of slightly dodgie rum in it to give it a kick. A great decanter.

• @CothermanDistilling said: if you live in a small apartment or rent a room or other small space or move a lot, get the baby dragon... in you have a house and a garage or shed and do not move a lot, get the dash...

Consider your space, all things being equal get the 4"....