Continuous Stripping with a Fractionating Column

2»

Comments

• think of that 'potential leak' as just another sieve tray hole.. vapor pushing up, water trying to go down....

• dish the plates

• Can you give more thoughts on the dish profile .... I presumed you meant literally.

• edited May 2017

Get a steel tube (not stainless) of the maximum height you have and load it full of disk and donut trays? Suspend the trays on threaded rod - don't pay particular attention to sealing the donut trays to the wall.

Call this the crude stripping section. Use the fancy stainless gear in the next column.

Even a dual flow tray doesn't need tight column fitting.

• @CothermanDistilling

I re read the paper again after posting and plate traverse time did strike me as being kind of important. I hadnt placed as much emphasis as you has on it. I'm still thinking on a 4" scale, where if we are going to meet our goal of 1000l/shift we DEFINITELY need to be at 8".

Could the procap design be limiting that plate traverse/dwell? I am a big fan of perf plates myself.

• I've tried dish and donut trays, the mash does not slow down enough to make the process efficient. I couldnt tell you how many times a design should have worked in real life as well as it did in theory. At a certain point you really have to forget about what the math and science says and get into problem solving mode and many times its just trying something different. This is not the only way to skin a cat, but it is the way that I have found that works for us.

• Experienced that frustration today, could not get my 190 with all 26 8" ProCaps active, using 2 elements, 11,000 watts, kicked it to 3 elements, the action increased significantly, and proof jumped several points, but was running on ragged edge of my little pumps ability to do both the PC and RC... but the concept of 'screw it, lets try something' worked...

• Does anyone have any info on the use of Donut / Disc distillation plates. Where I am going with this is........

For the beer stripping column with an "extremely high solids" content ... to me it would seem logical that donut / disc plate arrangements ought be used. Otherwise, plate blockage would be the result.

So presuming a 4" column, plate dimensions and plate vertical spacing ???

Thoughts here ??

OR is there a better solution for the stripping column with high solids content ??

• Please read my previous comment, I have done dish and donut and it does not work well at all, it does not slow down the mash enough.

• Apologies I missed it. But it still begs the question then what is the best all round solution for a fairly high solids / mash loading.

As I see it, a fairly large open area is required to deal with the high loading. Okay the efficiency will be down but is this such a big issue in a stripping column ??

The way I see it is that we need at least 19 plates or thereabouts for the stripping column.

Certain people talk about not even filtering / straining their mash and let it all pass through.

If perforated plates with downers were to be used, what diameter hole ought be considered. Normal columns talk about 1.5mm diameter (clean product) but I have a gut feel that we need to be talking around 5mm diameter plus for a stripping column. I can not see this effictively working without a fairly high vapour flow rate ??

Thoughts ??

• 19 plates 5mm holes no downcomer sounds like a good place to start

• I think a high vapor flow rate is going to be critical for any column using large open holes. Plate activity and product movement/ suspension would seem to be a key to success with solids particularly.

More power!!

• This is for their 12-3/4 and 14" column... lots to look at in the pic and a bit to understand in the specs..

1.jpg
    618 x 800 - 132K
    2.jpg
    618 x 800 - 98K
  • edited October 2021

@Telluride said: Please read my previous comment, I have done dish and donut and it does not work well at all, it does not slow down the mash enough.

Did you end up getting things working big fan of your dish donut tower lots open area minimal chance of block pity it was not effective..what if dishs were inverted and perforated?

• edited October 2021

@richard Hi, I just opened this thread again and noticed the response below that I had never clicked send on. Sorry. Hope it helps.

@richard said:

Have a look to this thread that I found on another site. Have a look to all the way at bottom for Excel file......... (For some reason I can not UPLOAD an Excel file here ???)

Calculation of Minimum Column Diameter for sieve plate @ HD

I have read through that thread and note it only goes down to 6" diameter. It'd be good to expand it to cover 5, 4, 3 & 2" columns & work out plate spacing for them too. Further his worksheet only allows a reflux ratio of 5 or 9. For a stripper i only want passive reflux,

The author was looking for the formula to work out Kv (or Csb without the use of a graph. I found it when looking at

Distillation Column Tray Selection & Sizing - 1 @ Separation Technologies

• @crozdog Thanks. Must be honest being a bit long in the tooth now, this stuff in part goes well over my head and I reach out for another beer. ;)

• That might be where I can help. I've been working on column diameters and plate spacing calcs for some time. What specifically is it that you need? NVM, I've reread and I see you want below 6" data and you want a passive reflux setup, is that the lot?