Machinist wanted - Sydney (or can post parts)

HI,

I have obtained 6 SS perforated disks that I want to try out in a continuous stripper. Problem is they are a bit thick, meaning the TC sections don't seal when clamped together. So I need to get the edges turned down.

Problem is I don't have a metal lathe or know anyone with one.

Can anyone help or recommend someone who can?

The disks are fairly light, so could be posted if need be.

Thanks in advance

Croz

Comments

• just bumping this in case anyone knows someone who can machine 1mm off the thickness of the disks?

• are they magnetic ? i think you will have trouble machining it off and it may have to be ground off. Easy on a magnetic bed but more difficult if you have to clamp it. What dia your stuff ? Maybe you could screw it to a blank in say 8 places then mount the blank in the lathe and turn it. then weld up the holes. Or maybe weld on O.D. to a blank then turn then grind off the holding welds and then clean up edges. Again what diameter as my lathe is pretty small.

• 1mm?

Drill a center hole, mount it to a drill, pinch sandpaper at the edge until you reach your desired thickness.

• Careful attack with a belt sander would be better

• cheers guys. been thinking about grinding or sanding as I don't have access to a metal lathe. maybe a bolt through the centre hole then in a drill press lowering onto a belt sander???

they are 106mm diameter

• no need , unless there already is a centre hole. I would think it would be better just use the sander on its back and rotate the disc by hand. That way you can apply the right pressure etc.

• Don't have to sand the whole surface either. Just the edges. Keep it simple.

• What thickness is it now and what do you want it to be ?

• Hi jez, 2.6mm need em down to 1.5 to fit in between 2 triclamp spools

• edited May 2017

The easiest way is to drill a center hole in the plate and fit onto the chuck for machining down the edge of the plate so that it fits (machine a step). You can always easily close this center hole with a bolt or whatever.

Another way is (but you again will need a machinist and welder) is to machine down a ferrule so as to allow for use with a standard full size gasket.

ayy 1.png
    750 x 324 - 2K
    assy.png
    750 x 324 - 3K
    3.jpg
    452 x 800 - 41K
    4.jpg
    452 x 800 - 52K
    5.jpg
    452 x 800 - 52K
    6.jpg
    452 x 800 - 44K
  • edited May 2017

Croz - Will it help to cut the flat off the inside of the gasket with a scalpel or is it still too thick ?

• Richard, yes I need a step in them. cant machine TC sections as i don't have a lathe. Plus don't want to modify my standard fittings as I want to be able to swap bubble plates with perf as I choose

• Can't really help you there but I can cut new ones out of 1.5 for you if needed.

• Thanks Jez, I'll keep that in mind