StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Quince

edited March 2017 in Recipes

Hello I am being given a mountain of quinces in a few weeks. I was going to mascerate them in neutral and then redistill. Would love to know if anyone has experience with quince they could please share? Thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Not with alcohol but have a killer Persian Quince and Lamb Soup ( stew ) . Most delicious and also good old quince paste ( though i don't have one - kids are good for something ) done in a thermomix works a treat and super easy. At least that goes well with alcohol so is partially on track of your thread. Will watch this space for alcohol ideas as quince season is all but upon us . Let me know if the soup idea tickles your fancy and i will send recipe.

• No experience mashing but drinking. Why not add some dust and ferment it? Have a nice bottle sitting on my shelf and is delicious

• @yurgle. An article in todays weekend magazine about guys in Adelaide making 36short Rakia so i checked what it was online. Its the same as Pisco using shiraz grape fermentation and single distillation in a pot still. Just happened on a you tube video called rakija od dunje which is 9 minutes of making rakija and distilling using quince. Starts right from prep stage so might be of interest. In Serbian or something but you can get the drift.

You are missing out if you dont try my quince and lamb recipe.

• usually our farmers cook the quince first and the mash it. They have to break it down to flakes first and it needs some water to cook the fruits (we are not supposed to use water for mashing by the law here, but it just does not work without). It is pretty good what they distill from but due to the work quince brandies are very expensive here.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• edited April 2017

I'm guessing quince is low in pectin? Seems like cooking would set the pectin - and the methanol concerns that go with pectin.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited April 2017

I saw somewhere while trawling thru the concept that the return was only something like 1 liter for 16 kg fruit. Seems low ( and a case where a little sugar would go a long way ). I don't think you could do quinces without water as they are very dry.

If they peeled the quince it would reduce the pectin quite considerably but that would be a lot of work. I know from making quince paste most of it is in the skin.

• @Kapea said: I'm guessing quince is low in pectin? Seems like cooking would set the pectin - and the methanol concerns that go with pectin.

It's kind of a shaky memory, but I seem to recall that my mother's family used to used quince to _provide _pectin for the jelly base of things like mint jelly. Because of that, I've always though it was high in pectin.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• our farmers surely don't peel. They use enzymes for the pectin.

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• @Sunshine I had a look at a few more Rakija od dunge videos and they just stick the fruit thru a chipper type machine and i am not 100% if they cook it or not as all videos are in Serbian/ Croatian but it looks very dry when fermenting with possibly only a little water added. In some pictures the brew looks kinda whitish indicating uncooked and in others pinkish meaning cooked. I bet it is nice. Next time i go to Adelaide I might buy a bottle for the library though there appears a few made from Plum but Quince looks like a little bit more difficult.

• edited April 2017

Pectin tip 101 - pineapples are loaded with natural pectinase, if you don't like using synthetic kine pectinase

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• An electric meat grinder worked OK for pulping the quince. The raw fruit had to be chopped to fit through the throat of the grinder. Similarly partly fermented chopped fruit was put through the grinder (about 50 kg per hour). Pectic enzyme helped to break up the chopped fruit in fermentation, but not enough. The fruit was about 17 Brix.