Essential Oil Stock Rig

Had some Chinese customers livingin OZ come visit my store on the weekend. She was from Beijing and he was from Wenzhou so i knew both their home towns which was good.

They are starting a business in Sydney doing essential oil extraction, said they want to do roses predominately, but other herbs and flowers too.

They were interested in fabbing a vessel to accommodate the passing of steam through the rose petals. They were liking the milk can but there was not enough room to suspend material above the water.
I suggested that they could use two milk cans, one as a steam generator with 2" piping going into the base of the second can (through an elemnet port) and then fabbing a false bottom in 2 pieces for the plant material or a basket style of flexible stainless mesh.
Then a regular 2" pot still (riser bend, condensor) on top to condense the rose water product.

I'm going to mock it up today or tomorrow for them and price it, this will become a standard offering. I'm interested in ideas from the crew here as to the design of the false bottom, or other suggestions from anyone experienced in essential oil production.
I'll post pics of the mock up.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

Comments

• Sounds like you're making a giant carter head style rig?

• Why not put the other milk can upside down and use a short tc-pipe and a filter disc in between?

• edited March 2017

Not that jacked in essential oils ..... I plan to try it today with Lavender.

But as I understand it, you will need some glass parrot pieces to be able to distinguish oil levels

EssentialStillReceiver.jpg
    491 x 800 - 53K
  • edited March 2017

Essential Oil Steam Distillation.jpg
    800 x 362 - 30K

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Yes there are also ways to do it off the still, but i have enough enquirys in Australia to want to offer some kind of starter kit at least.

I do believe these guys are after the floral water at the end rather than the oil, but i may be wrong.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• ive kinda got a hankering for some glassware of late. I wonder if a series of mid sized (10-20l) systems could compliment SD line.

Essential oil extraction, hash oil extraction, small scale vacuum distillation usable for other things than just ethanol all might be desirable using affordable priced equipment.

• Why not do a steam generator instead of a second pot?

• I am doing a steam generator, just a 50l one.

• He who can read... Sorry

What about a three piece with support stand? Height just above the heat element inlet in the standard milk can and you can double duty as mash tun as well

• Thats the type of thing i'm thinking of, just don't have the skills to draw it.

• edited March 2017

Mocked it up today, goes together like i imagined and fits very well with standard modular parts. Entirely customisable as to lengths, condensor size and length, outlet placement etc.

It'll be up to the user to add the oil seperation if required and to fabricate a basket at this stage, will be offered as is (with elements, view ports, caps etc.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 86K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 91K

• Mate that looks awesome. Well done.

• @punkin how did this end up? Has it been tested yet?

• They are running it down in Sydney as far as i know. Last i heard was during the week when they asked why the QD's were leaking and i told them they needed to use thread tape....

• Is it the same configuration as in the pictures or was there a change? In the second milk can what did you use to suspend the material in. Im interested in doing this myself with frangipani.

• edited April 2017

The same as the pics. They were having a false bottom fabricated as they use bulk rose petals. I suggested the false bottom could be done either folding or in pieces. I supplied a sight glass kit for the second element port in the second can.

Retail price with 2" potstill and all fittings except the false bottom was $2250