Synthetic yeast is coming!

edited March 2017 in General

Comments

• edited March 2017

Artificial life?

They still have to figure out the start mechanism. Reckon that's gunna be a problem as we don't have kick starters.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I don't think they're creating life...just yet, anyway. They are creating synthetic chromosomes, which they replace a living cell's original with. The idea is to be able to create - and modify - chromosomes to come up with something different and 'better'. "We're also developing some really practical tools for improving the yeast so that it can do a much better job at making useful products for us," Boeke says. Yeah, like yeast that love a 25% wash, I hope.

• Scientists have taken another important step toward creating different types of synthetic life in the laboratory.

First sentence.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Did you read the rest of the article? Or just the first sentence?

• edited March 2017

read the lot yes (although my first post was constructed before reading it and posted after). The difference is that i'm not arguing they didn't say what you are quoting, while you are saying they are not after creating artificial life.

The artcle talks about both short and long term goals.

• Yes, you are correct. The article is not about creating artificial life, but rather creating synthetic genomes.