StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Blocked drain port

edited February 2017 in Usage

Hi All,

I purchased an SD bain-marie (BM) boiler some time ago with the purpose being to mash, ferment and distill (on the grain) in the single vessel...

I'm running into blockage problems with my drain port. It's a 2" port with a butterfly valve. Being a BM the port is a few inches long and grain is settling in there are causing a blockage when I try to empty it.

Pictures always say a thousand words so I have included a snip of the design.

Just wondering what other users are doing to avoid blockage. Any thoughts?

Comments

• edited February 2017

What kind of pump are you using to pull off? We use a lobe pump and it works well to pull off the stillage, even in situations where the grain is heavy and coarse, and wants to self-lauter and stay behind. Nice thing about the lobe is it has no problem pumping the equivalent of mud.

If you don't already, run the agitator while you drain, at least until it's fully exposed, this keeps everything fairly well mixed, which is key. Once you have no agitator, use your mash paddle, and make sure you keep everything mixed. The minute the grain starts to settle and pile up (especially if you drain slow), it's going to keep building on itself while the liquid drains through.

We mashed in the still a few times in the beginning when we had steam issues with the mash tun - you may find you need to pump back some liquid to the top of the still to keep the heavier grain wet enough to flow.

I find that stillage drains much easier than mash does, mostly because the grain/particle sizes are much smaller after fermentation and going through a protracted boil. Hot stillage is also significantly less viscous than mash, and a whole lot less sticky.

Sometimes still, after distillation - we sometimes need the hose to spray down the stillage to keep it wet and flowing. When we do oats, for example, it's a bear as the oat husk is absolutely huge and blooms open like a flower. Pretty sure this would get stuck regardless of the drain size.

• I've had 2" drains become blocked several times, sometimes in fermenters with no mixing paddle. The solution is to use a 2"->3" short reducer and use a 3" valve. Imho, the tanks would better off with a 3" drain.

• Good point, we have a tank with a 1.5" TC drain - trying to drain it with a 1.5" TC butterfly is impossible, we need to step to 2" as the valve is way too restrictive.

• Have you tried pushing some clean water in before pumping out?

• Thanks for the replies all. I empty the boiler using gravity only. It's only a 150L hobby use boiler.

• Combine the ideas from @grim & @Unsensibel. Firstly connect a water hose up to the drain port and blast some fresh water into the drain port before turning the agittator on, disconnecting the hose and starting to drain

• @crozdog said: Combine the ideas from grim & Unsensibel. Firstly connect a water hose up to the drain port and blast some fresh water into the drain port before turning the agittator on, disconnecting the hose and starting to drain

What a great idea. I like it and will give it a go.

• Quite glad I opted for a 4" drain.