How many plates can you stack in a CD?

With all the pics and vids of the CD's around, I'm contemplating switching over.

What's unclear to me are the following:

1. How does the total height compare against a 4x 4x4x3 setup?
  2. How many plates can you stack into the CD (ie. comfortable 4 but 6 will fit)?
  3. Are the copper plates interchangeable between standard T and CD (understood that the seal is different)?
  4. What glass lengths are available for 4"?

@Smaug I understand that some of the items may be on the web page but I couldn't find it.

Comments

• edited February 2017
    1. Each glass chimney is 4" tall. Each CD flange adds 1-3/4". The gasket likely adds 1/4" + or -
    2. 6 plates is no problem. Its really more about the ease of cleaning. So a 6 plate CD will be about 28-1/2" tall + or -
    3. Yessir.
    4. All of our chimneys are 4" tall here in the US.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited February 2017

@Smaug are you sure about 4"? The height on the pic looks more than that

4crystaldragonproplate.jpg
    600 x 800 - 34K
  • edited February 2017

In 4" config the lenses are 110mm per plate versus the 155mm per plate in a Dash. The plates swap straight over. Check out @captainshooch 16 plate model, don't think you need be concerned about 6 plates.

StillDragon® - 4" Crystal Dragon™ with 16 Bubble Plates - Maiden Run

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @CothermanDistilling I'm looking to what I can fit in the standard height glass chimney (and indirectly the glass chimney height)

@Smaug said: 2. 6 plates is no problem. Its really more about the ease of cleaning. So a 6 plate CD will be about 28-1/2" tall + or -

Do you mean that the glass cyclinder is about 28-1/2 + 2 x 1-3/4 for the flanges?

@punkin - Thanks! Looking not for what's possible with a special order glass but whats fitting in the 4" CD standard glass chimney

• edited February 2017

My apologies. Its 3-7/8" lol

The total height of an assembled CD tower with 2 flanges, 6 plates, 6 chimneys, and 7 CD gaskets is approximately 28-1/2" + or -

No other components included.

• edited February 2017

That is standard glass chimneys.

Only thing custom is the threaded rods.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Let me know if you want to cut your own rods and I'll mock up to give you the length.

• edited February 2017

Now I get it!

I was assuming that the CD has one continuous glass chimney where the plates get pushed inside. What actually happens is that the chimney's stack on top of each other with the plates and seals acting like a TC fitting. So I'm saving on T's but replace them with chimneys 1-1. The part that needs pre-planning is the total amount of segments as it's driving the rod length...

Thanks everyone

• Yep, fits in with the modular concept.

• Yes and the weight of the actual hardware is supported by the truss rods.

Back up nuts are tightened down against the flanges to release all unneeded load bearing pressure from the glass if you see my meaning?

• @Smaug While i have done a few runs with 8 * 5 " crystals is there a documented recommended procedure for actually setting up the sections and rods etc. I dont think i have my backup nuts all that tight and i understand the logic of your comment in the last post.

• @GD50 said: Smaug While i have done a few runs with 8 * 5 " crystals is there a documented recommended procedure for actually setting up the sections and rods etc. I dont think i have my backup nuts all that tight and i understand the logic of your comment in the last post.

Probably not.

Croz has done the best job on the Dash series and Gin Head. Really a great set of resources.

Beyond that we really have not done that great of a job with tutorials/manuals for products that came after the Dash and Gin Head. Partly because of the added variables of modularity and also that we may have assumed we could get all users to check in here on the forum for any needed assistance.