StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Banana Creme Pie or Butterscotch Shine

Anyone have any idea how to make these? I picked up these flavored shines in West Virginia and would like to duplicate them...not sure how they got the flavor in them and was curious if anyone knew...

Thanks!

Comments

• Those flavors both scream added flavorings.

• proper butterscotch is tough due to the fat content from the butter. As far as I know most commercial offerings use flavourings as @grim says

please let me know if you work it out

• We have some butterscotch in the nuking thread I think using neutral... if not i can provide a recipe, It used butterscotch candy. Hoochy makes butterscotch shine and puts the candy in a blender with neutral then adds it to more neutral to make the finished product.

Refer to this thread.

• edited January 2017

I don't see any reason to not use a good quality commercial flavoring if that's the kind of thing you are going for.

Butterscotch candy is flavored with it just the same, so why bother with dealing with the candy and all the other stuff that you are going to find in it (corn starch, whey, soy lecithin, etc).

I mean, really, is anyone macerating a banana cream pie in spirits? I'd probably respect it more if they used a high quality flavor, but watching them soak down a pie would probably be pretty funny. I can imagine the slogan now, a piece of pie in every bottle!

That cinnamon whiskey company is clearly doing something right.

Perhaps it's time the stigma about using flavors died?

Lucky for us, the Vaping scene has created access to some of the best flavor manufacturers in low volumes and at very low costs. In the past you'd need to buy at least a gallon through a commercial account, and it would cost a few hundred dollars. Now you can find really, really good quality stuff in at little as a few ounces, for a few bucks.

• Side note:

On the graham cracker sugar shine recipes,,,,the graham cracker definitely carries.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• First beer, now whiskey...

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• It was all over when Pinnacle released Swedish Fish flavored vodka.

• edited January 2017

Friend of mine made a mudbug IPA for the AHA NHC keg-only competition in New Orleans in 1996. He used crawfish shell infused mash water (sans boil spices). It definitely tasted like bugs. Pretty neat. Nobody asked for a second glass.

It's been all downhill ever since...

• Ah,,,,yikes.

Reckon it was done because it could? The liking part is academic it seems.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I am going to try commercial flavoring...but I did not want to reinvent the wheel...Apple pie and cinnamon seems easy enough...Ill update this thread if I find out something...

• @Smaug said: Ah,,,,yikes.

Reckon it was done because it could? The liking part is academic it seems.

A celebration of all things NOLA.

Took some cooking and brewing knowledge to pull it off. Paired two flavors that go well together when applied separately. Not so much when applied together.

Not bad at all. Just not worth wasting any brain cells on.