StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Backset Recharging

edited December 2016 in General

Hey guys, I have not heard of anybody doing this? if nobody is doing it, it must be a bad idea.
I want to know why it's a bad idea?

Let's say we started with a 100% Malt All Grain Whiskey recipe
Doing the normal Mashing and Fermenting.
Then distill away and make normal collections, once down into tails and ready to shutdown, Turn off boiler, and let cool down some.

ONCE COOL, Open the boiler, then "recharge" the Back-set that's left by adding some neutral spirits, from a sugar wash previously distilled out at 95% ABV that is as clean as possible.

Then close it back up and power back up and distill this new mix, utilizing the flavors that were already in the still?

Effectively have i doubled the amount of "quality" product? what will the second run be like?

Has anybody here tried this? did it work?

Thanks All
Dunkx

Comments

• If you also added your feints back to the boiler, you would get some more flavour back, got to be worth a try, I quite like the idea.

You could also recover your feints during the second run, if you try it, let us know, it'll be a while before I get to have a go at something like this.

• I have never seen or read of anyone using this approach to get more out of an all grain mash, interesting concept... wonder how that would work with a fruit wash as well... stirring the neutral back in with the fruit pulp/mash... this might make a bain marie a required boiler type.

Happy StillinDays

FS

• I'd wager a guess you would get a run of tails.

• edited December 2016

Interesting idea. I'd love to hear the results if anyone experiments with this.

It would also be interesting how this product would be defined and labeled in the US.

CHAPTER 4 - CLASS AND TYPE DESIGNATION (PDF) @ TTB

• Don't think anyones going to get far enough to worry about how to label it.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Grim has the right answer.

I made delicious peated all grain whisky and added neutral to the fresh backset and fired it back up.

All I got was tails ALL the way through.

It ended up back in a feints container for later refluxing...

• Now adding all that neutral to a good wash or low wines - you'd probably stretch that out into a nice Light Whiskey.

• You can reuse the backset on a fruit wash by adding sugar to 100% cooled backset and fermenting again then adding that to the first 100% fruit strip and doing a slow spirit run on a potstill. Have done that many times.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• If you want more flavoured hearts, you could try adding Neutral to the Still before the first run, you might dilute the flavour slightly but you'll get more booze for you buck :-)

• How would you label that, punkin? Fruit flavored cane sugar spirit?

• edited December 2016

Fruity Dunderum - really just rum though.

• The question never came up.

• @grim said: Now adding all that neutral to a good wash or low wines - you'd probably stretch that out into a nice Light Whiskey.

+1 Punkin taught me that trick with regard to adding low wines back to the beer kettle charge.....adding neutral simply makes a lighter version one assumes.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America