StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Three-Phase Converters

Anybody have an opinion on three-phase converters vs. having the power company switch it over? I was wondering if there are any problems using a converter with your equipment, and does the price difference justify it? I'm looking at 10k-15k for the conversion vs. about 2k for a converter.

Thanks

Comments

• edited November 2016

We use single phase VFDs on all our 3 phase equipment.

That includes the still agitator, two large positive displacement pumps, one large centrifugal pump, and the mash tun agitator.

They range in size from 0.75hp to 3hp VFDs.

They work great on the pumps and agitators, because they provide us with the ability to control pump or agitator speeds. In addition, they provide motor and equipment protection, as we have them setup with very quick over-current shutdown settings.

The converters run a couple hundred bucks a piece.

• Awesome, thanks Grim. That was the route I was aiming at. The VFD seemed like the safest and most efficient way.

• @grim said: We use single phase VFDs on all our 3 phase equipment.

That includes the still agitator, two large positive displacement pumps, one large centrifugal pump, and the mash tun agitator.

They range in size from 0.75hp to 3hp VFDs.

They work great on the pumps and agitators, because they provide us with the ability to control pump or agitator speeds. In addition, they provide motor and equipment protection, as we have them setup with very quick over-current shutdown settings.

The converters run a couple hundred bucks a piece.

Do you have a company that you would recommend?

• Larry sells them i think at StillDragon US.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Can you run them backwards?

• Yeah forward and reverse

• edited November 2016

Hitachi NES1 are the best deal on the market by far, check eBay. However, they will need an enclosure as they are not wash down or waterproof.

I also like Vacon SE and X Series drives as the first is IP55 and he X is full wash down - no enclosures. Expensive unless you can find a deal.

• What do you think about Danfoss?

• Comes with a very nice SS can, and bus bar with breaker. Works great .

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• You need a better description on that.

• @grim said: You need a better description on that.

you are your perfecting the art of 'understatement'

• edited November 2016

@grim said: You need a better description on that.

True.
    We are weak in a lot of areas. Needs to get better.

@CothermanDistilling said: you are your perfecting the art of 'understatement'

Ouch....

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• The art of letting pictures talk :)

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• I got about 4 VFD's for my factory early this year. I ordered from a company called Powtran in China directly. they have been fantastic and VERY cost effective. quality is top notch far as I can tell. you get 100% control over the motor and can even save money on electricity if you have a constant draw. Another benefit is you can ramp up the motor slowly and keep the amp draw way below normal startup. for us this means I can run a 7KW generator to power three 7HP machines as a backup, yet the one single phase 5hp motor NOT on a VFD wont start at all.

you will need a VFD for each motor.

• i have a few cheap chinese VFDs to run motors but have found that in the US at least it is best to buy Teco (Westinghouse) , they are the best. much better engineering and support and documentation than the chinese things, which do work.

• edited March 2017

@Fiji_Spirits said: yet the one single phase 5hp motor NOT on a VFD wont start at all.

That's what start capacitors are for. 5hp is a BIG motor to be on single phase.

But I'm with you, VFDs are the way to go. I use them to convert single phase to three phase for pumps of 3hp or more installed where 3 phase is not available. The side benefit is the ability to ramp up on start, and the ability to tune the motor to match the pressures and flows desired. That is important for extending RO membrane service life.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Yeah. After discovering the features an benefits of a 3-phase motor and a vfd together I'm almost of a mind to quit single phase motors entirely!!