Can I get back to neutral base spirit (with no flavours) by doing a slow spirit run?

Been experimenting with Gin recipes and now have about 20L of various recipes that i will not use. My question is - should i tip it down the drain or can i re-distill it and get back to decent base neutral spirit and start again. Also, could i throw in the feints i have collected through this experimentation phase as well.

Comments

• edited October 2016

I think there would be residual flavor. While it could probably make a good product, I'd imagine it would make recipe development a little bit complex as it would be hard to determine the contribution from the residual flavors vs new botanicals.

You might have some success with heavy carbon filtering first, than redistilling.

Mix it all together - maybe it'll make an even better gin. ;) So good you'll kick yourself because it'd be impossible to replicate again.

• Hey @grim appreciate the quick reply, great I will just carry on with making up some neutral first whilst doing the recipe development. But won't waste, will run through another time and see what I get - as you say may be good !! and i need to look into this carbon filtering. Thanks ..!

• save a bottle of each with notes... you will thank yourself down the road...

and with the rest, blend in, if you have one that has too much of something, just blend that in instead of the raw ingredient...

• The simple answer is no.

To achieve your goal you will need a combination of slow distillation and fine cuts together with extensive carbon treatment. The right grade of carbon will help greatly.

Cheers,

Mech

• edited February 2017

@TheMechWarrior said: The simple answer is no.

To achieve your goal you will need a combination of slow distillation and fine cuts together with extensive carbon treatment. The right grade of carbon will help greatly.

Interested to know what would be the right grade of carbon in this instance.,,after all I don't want to load up my shiny new StillDragon filter with the wrong stuff.

• slow through 10-16 plates or more and a packed section... that will get you 99% there... or you can dump into a wash...