StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Question About The DIY Wiring

edited April 2016 in Accessories

To all the electrically knowledgeables , a customer has sent me a question about the DIY kit and an apparent contradiction. I'm not qualified to advise on electrical matter so hopefully some one here can help and we can change the manual to avoid any confusion.

Hi Guys,

I’m wiring up the controller now but have a question.

Step 7 says take wire on left lug on pot and secure it to terminal # 4 on SSR

But Fig 8 shows the wire on the left going to terminal # 3

Can you clear that up for me please.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

Comments

• Hold the pot in the same orientation as the pictures and then it makes sense.

• @richard said: Hold the pot in the same orientation as the pictures and then it makes sense.

+1

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited October 2016

I'm still wondering about the correct wiring as described in the StillDragon® DIY Controller Kit Build Instructions (PDF) - I'm not certain if I should assemble per the schematic and the written text or per the photograph.

The schematic in the beginning of the instructions show the center lug of the pot being wired to # 3 on the SSR.

Step 7 states take wire on center lug on pot and secure it to terminal # 3 on the SSR.

Step 7 states take wire on left lug on pot and secure it to terminal # 4 on the SSR.

The Fig 8 photograph shows the (red) wire on the left lug of the pot going to terminal # 3 on SSR.

Is the Fig 8 photograph wrong?

Do I wire per the schematic and text or to the Fig 8 photograph?

I feel so AR... or maybe just dense... Would someone please point me in the right direction?

Schematic.jpg
    481 x 475 - 21K
    Figure 8.jpg
    486 x 313 - 21K
  • The potentiometer is not polarity sensitive. As long as you get the 2 wires on the potentiometer correct it doesnt matter what wire goes to terminal 3 and what wire goes to terminal 4. If you accidentally use the centre lug and the other lug on the potentiometer shown not connected in the drawing and the picture, then the power output will work backwards, ie 100% = 0% output and 0% = 100% output.

• Thanks @Mickiboi for succinctly clarifying this nit for me. Back to assembly work I go.

• Yep, great post.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Hi Guys. Finally I have time to build the DIY controller. I'm not in the same colour coding region as the person who wrote the manual, and the instructions talk about black and green wires, but don't mark them as Live, Neutral, Earth etc. Can anyone say what green, black and white map back to in terms of Live, Neutral, Earth? I'm guessing green is earth as it connects to the heatsink and the manual mentions "one green wire to each end of the SSR ground screws". Just looking for how people usually wire it up. It would also help me immensely if the instructions said load-side or supply-side, as opposed to left and right. Is the SSR upside-down in the images, they are a bit fuzzy when zoomed. Thanks.

• edited October 2017

What part of the world are you in?

If you are in North America. Single Phase, Black and Red wire are HOT Live (110 Volts per side to make 220V). At times they will use two Black wires to be the hot ones and not a Red. I have seen Brown and Blue used in Europe for a hot wire.

White is common

Copper or Green ( Yellow on Green) is ground/earth

From the Panel or Plug - you wire to the SSR Supply Side- read your SSR diagram - This is very important or you will burn out the SSR - don't trust anyone's picture, only the drawing that came with the SSR.

Cheers TUner

Protective earth (PE)   Green   Green/yellow striped
    Neutral (N)             White   White
    Single phase: Live (L)  Black   Blue
    Three phase: L1         Red     Brown
    Three phase: L2         Yellow  Black
    Three phase: L3         Blue    Grey

• @TUner said: I have seen Brown and Blue used in Europe for a hot wire.

Live is brown most of the time but can also be red (Belgium) or black (Netherlands if it's switched, otherwise brown). The official definition of Live is "not blue (Neutral), not yellow/green (Earth)". Easy :-/

• Ok, that's fantastic. Many thanks everybody.