StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

My Boiler Build

13»

Comments

• what is dAst? set it to 50 degrees F, and it should skip that phase.. (maybe set dout from 0 back to 100, this could be a bug)

• I definitely have something going on. When the Auber is connected to the SSR the output is max no matter what the knob/settings are on. I talked to a tech rep from Auber and he had me test the output of the unit while turning the knob. 1.3v when the knob was at 0 and 13.2v when maxed out at 100%. Even when the unit is powered off the SSR is letting 100% power through.

OK, since SSRs default to open when bad, I checked and they are good; when the Auber is disconnected from the SSR zero voltage goes through.

This got me thinking; using these SSRs with just a pot works fine and there is zero voltage in one of those so I would think that ANY voltage would max it out. How can a pot with no voltage control one while a controller even powered down maxes the SSR output?

(Guy with little electrical knowledge scratches head)

• wrong SSR's!!!!!! you need SSR's with a dc trigger, not a potentiometer!!!!

edit, more detail, you have what is known as a SSVR ( eample - the SD SSR, or the SSVR40A), but need a typical SSR (example part number MGR-1D4840)

you need one with a 3-32VDC control voltage(see the bottom line on the label):

ssr.jpg
    333 x 444 - 23K
  • and the SD one says "2W470Ohm"

ssvr.jpg
    800 x 600 - 45K
  • Well, Hell's Bell's son, now we are getting somewhere. Now I don't feel like such an idiot, or maybe I feel like a bigger one but at least I know that I don't have it wired wrong.

Thanks Mike for pinning down the problem.

• it is all good... just get some 40A magers and you are set...

• They are already on the way.

• Wish that Auber controller had a 4-20ma output too.

• Would have been nice. Just ponied up $50 for new SSRs and thermal paste. Anyone need any of the SD SSRs?

• The mail was held up because of the hurricane so I just got the correct SSRs yesterday. Installed them today and ..........

SUCCESS!!!

Damn near drove myself crazy wondering why I couldn't get the "wiring" to work. Will probably run this system for the first time tomorrow. I have 50 gallons of TPW waiting to strip.

The panel kinda looks bare. Would like to add some flashy lights or something. Nice to have it on the wall and out of the way too.

I swear, every friggin picture I post on this forum is sideways. Tried turning it before I downloaded it. No joy!

My Control Box.jpg
    600 x 800 - 44K
  • @FloridaCracker said:

The panel kinda looks bare. Would like to add some flashy lights or something. Nice to have it on the wall and out of the way too.

Maybe you could stick one of these on there?

• edited October 2016
    panel.jpg
    1113 x 650 - 135K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Great stuff @FloridaCracker, would love to a see vid of the new rig in action!

• I just added a missile switch to my controller to override the flow switch :D

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 81K
  • Still need a flux capacitor though.

• @Kill_Devil_Spirit_Co said: Great stuff FloridaCracker, would love to a see vid of the new rig in action!

Thanks, hopefully later today.

OK, time to call out some members here for a big THANK YOU:

Unsensible, CothermanDistilling and Grim were all instrumental in getting this control box up and running. Without their help I guarantee there would have been some kind of fire involved. Thanks guys for the help.