StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Distillery Layout Plans

I'm in the planning stages of setting up a micro-distillery on our little farm in South Africa. We don't have any existing outbuildings or old barns that we can convert for this purpose unfortunately, so we have to build a new distillery from scratch with a very limited budget.
I've Googled high and low for inspiration, but it would appear that either people don't want to share layout plans (understandable), or that distillers generally move into existing premises, be they factory spaces or old barns.
Can anyone in the SD community give me an idea of a layout plan for a small craft distillery? I have a 200L potstill with 4" column etc (runs on two elements) as well as 2 stainless steel holding tanks so far. Haven't purchased bottling/labelling equipment yet. I'll be distilling from our own low wines, so don't need space for mashing, but will be doing some maceration in the process.
Aiming for about 1000 bottles production per month (gin initially....) and just wondering, bases on other's experiences, what minimum floor space I'll need and what possible layouts/configurations have been tried.
Any and all advice greatly appreciated from this eager newbie! :) (nicdavis at iafrica.com if you'd prefer to stay private)

Comments

• Hey Nic, I am at a similar stage and did a plan. Lets me email you later today. But there are other guys here in production who will help more than I can boet. Matt

• Not sure what you mean with "distilling from our own low wines"?
    Are you making wine that your planning on distilling?

Assuming 1 bottle = 0.75L and your "low wine" is around 11.5%, you would have to distill 5 x week every week to make your production goal on a 200L still (200L @ 11.5% -> 19L @ 80% usable w/ 67% yield from distillation => 50 bottles @ 40% 0.75L)

That begs the question what are you distilling from and how long does it take to ferment? Most distilleries that I've seen tend to try to turn over their fermenters once a week which limits the ABV of the wash typically to 6%-ish. If you're shooting for higher ABV, you're looking at longer fermentation time (=more floor space, more equipment needed).

If you're lowering the ABV of the mash, then you'd have to distill more than once a day to meet your production goal.

• @DonMateo said: Hey Nic, I am at a similar stage and did a plan. Lets me email you later today. But there are other guys here in production who will help more than I can boet. Matt

Thanks Matt - looking forward to receiving the email. We can swap notes bud....

• @Unsensibel said: Not sure what you mean with "distilling from our own low wines"?
    Are you making wine that your planning on distilling?

Assuming 1 bottle = 0.75L and your "low wine" is around 11.5%, you would have to distill 5 x week every week to make your production goal on a 200L still (200L @ 11.5% -> 19L @ 80% usable w/ 67% yield from distillation => 50 bottles @ 40% 0.75L)

That begs the question what are you distilling from and how long does it take to ferment? Most distilleries that I've seen tend to try to turn over their fermenters once a week which limits the ABV of the wash typically to 6%-ish. If you're shooting for higher ABV, you're looking at longer fermentation time (=more floor space, more equipment needed).

If you're lowering the ABV of the mash, then you'd have to distill more than once a day to meet your production goal.

You assume correctly - mostly :) By low wines I refer to wine that is designated for cognac production which I can set aside before any SO2 is added.

• @Noordhoeknic, request to join the pro forum. You will find a plethora of information to help you get started.

Is your still a Still Dragon design or other? (just out of curiosity)

• @noordhoeknic Check your iafrica email mate.

• @Kill_Devil_Spirit_Co said: Noordhoeknic, request to join the pro forum. You will find a plethora of information to help you get started.

Is your still a Still Dragon design or other? (just out of curiosity)

Other. I didn't know about Still Dragon until relatively recently to be honest! I'll follow your advice - thanks a ton btw.

• @Noordhoeknic would love to see a pic/specs! If this is the still you plan to use for a while you'll be incorporating that into your initial building design/layout while combining ideas for planned growth... also I like still pics haha

• edited September 2016

@Kill_Devil_Spirit_Co said: Noordhoeknic would love to see a pic/specs! If this is the still you plan to use for a while you'll be incorporating that into your initial building design/layout while combining ideas for planned growth... also I like still pics haha

See if this link works......

Edited by @Moonshine: link not working, unauthorized attachment removed.

• Here at SD we love to talk about all manor of distilling, fermenting etc. We have always encouraged information sharing and try to do our best to promote info sharing.

We have no problem when participants within the community share their on sight builds. We love it in fact.

However, this is indeed a commercial site for StillDragon. So it can get a bit slippery when a community member decides to post images of a competitor's equipment.

Thanks so much for understanding.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Ah, was thinking it was an OP build.

• No worries.

We are happy to help and promote as much as possible for all of the craft guy's trying to get some traction.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Unlike some other manufacturers who don't even understand the work of a bubble cap or have any idea, how distilling is really done ;) , where customer service ends with payment.

Sorry, could not help it. >:)

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• I've been in a few distilleries, making money, with less than 1,000 sq ft.

Few key ideas-

Define wet & dry areas, Have Still, Fermenters, Storage Tanks in a circle or square, so that the distance between each is about the same...same size hose and pump equipment reaches all, Floor Drain in middle,

Things that don't need to move (compressor, big tanks, water tanks), up high off the floor.

Make the process flow in a circle (like a clock) around the delivery door, as in Dry goods in the door, mash, ferment, distill, re-distill, tanks for storage, bottling, storage of cased bottles, back out the door.

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• @dad said: I've been in a few distilleries, making money, with less than 1,000 sq ft.

Few key ideas-

Define wet & dry areas, Have Still, Fermenters, Storage Tanks in a circle or square, so that the distance between each is about the same...same size hose and pump equipment reaches all, Floor Drain in middle,

Things that don't need to move (compressor, big tanks, water tanks), up high off the floor.

Make the process flow in a circle (like a clock) around the delivery door, as in Dry goods in the door, mash, ferment, distill, re-distill, tanks for storage, bottling, storage of cased bottles, back out the door.

Thanks so much for the feedback - this helps loads!