StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Compact Steam Generator

edited September 2013 in General

Just found this, and this concept is very interesting. The implications of this technology could change the way we do electric.

I like it. Nothing like distilling on grain to kick things up a notch.

INSTANT STEAM GENERATION

Tagged:

Comments

• That is really freaking cool. I didn't find a price, any idea on what that would cost?

• I looked at those months ago and talked to them. They will really not work for running a Still as they do not create enough steam volume. They are more for producing small amounts of steam for localized processes.

Also quite expensive. The 240v 25amp unit was about $3k if I remember right.

I was looking for one that would allow me to steam heat my 500 gallon mash tun to keep the temps up during the mash.

• If you think about it, your electric heating element will have to produce the steam. A watt is 3.4 btu, so if you wanted 600k btu, say for a still of small commercial size, you would need 200kw... or 40 5kw elements... I think the future may include heat pumps, if it is the most economical way to heat a 15k gal pool, why not a still? a 20ton AC unit is 240k btu... either to cool your building in the warm climates, or to cool a cold liquor tank that will be used for chilling...

• for 500 gallon yes you need a boiler , but for 15 gallons to around 50 it could work just fine. Check out the calc sheet. I have been fooling with it. Anyway, looks like it could be reversed engineered relatively easily with SD parts and a few off the shelf item ( hopefully still looking) . Yes you do have to be careful so you don't blow it all up. Also you could steam inject mash with the same unit. Also be aware that a peristaltic pump and and temp controller is required for the system.

• edited September 2013

Just went to provide a link to my Rims system and found i didn't have it on the site, thanks.

punkin's New Rims System @ AHB

We already have the basic building blocks, definitely something we should be looking at. It does seem that you would have to source elements that were proof against being boiled dry though?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I assume the peristaltic pump is for putting recovered hot water back in, and you don't want to just throw in new filtered water?

• I was thinking the pump would regulate the exact amount of steam output due the a meter water input... but i could be wrong didn't look at the unit closely..

• The first time I saw a RIMS I couldn't help but think "continuous distillation" as in a super small stripper.

• I think the key is the peristaltic pump as you stated FS, and a pid controller in the output steam. Temperature controller Set up could be a challenge . Set the PId somewhere near boiling point of water to keep the pressure low, pre fill the chamber with water , start it all up and it should run. Personally I would like a way to check the fluid level in the chamber or measured steam flow. Also some sort of blow off pressure valve. A simple one would be a sheet of plastic film stretched across a sanitary joint (Al foil may work) connected to an outside line of course. no worries on back flow as the pump would prevent that, actually your pump working pressure could limit the system. Some testing with compressed air should find the correct film and check it all out safely.

The only real hazard I can see is if you hit the chamber with cool water and a pre heated element.

Did some sample calcs yesterday, the water flow rate for the pump came out to be 220 ml/min, very low water in put flow for 29 Lbs(8.4 kw) of steam per hour. I was surprised by that. Looks like a practical , reverse engineering attempt will be limited to 5kw due to available parts ( water heater elements and SD parts) . I would like 10 kw but that would require a 4 inch sanitary end cap with two water heater holes threaded and tapped. I am looking for off the shelf parts now..

Actually, I suppose you could build a stripper with it, didn't think of that. I would worry about getting scortch-ables in the heating chamber. With a cleared batch, It should work. The trick would be the temperature control and at what temp to use to get a full strip without too much water in it. Also the chamber would have to be pre filled wit no air to prevent a possible ignition.

I was thinking process steam , for mashing and distillation. That is how the big Ngs makers do it as it is very efficient. Added benefit no possible way to scorch , you could hit a mash tun with max power with no worries and grind grain very fine, more efficiency there as well. Steam hammer could come into play.

Anybody see a problems or something I didn't consider with it? I might just give this a go.

• now I know why no one is doing this.... conversation of mass. 29 lbs of steam in a 15.5 gallon keg. 29 lbs of steam is what is required to get to 165 f. 29 lbs of steam is 3.5 gallon of water. If I fill to 14 gallon the column will flood before I get to take off. Duh.....

• If you run the steam in through a copper coil inside the keg, if you get the steam to convert to water inside the coil, before it exits the boiler, 95% of the energy is transferred to the boiler... then the water drips into a bucket outside the boiler..

If you want a continuous process, you insert beer from the top and steam from the bottom, and collect vapor out the top and water out the bottom, correct? boiler would not get full.

using steam to inject into the beer to drive out alcohol would not be efficient in my opinion..

• I know about Coffey stills and industrial use. Most bourbon maker use Coffey stills (columns) and inject steam. They use a continuous process. Adding a drain to the coil is an interesting idea. I can't think of a way to make that work without it being a PITA.

I really like the idea of distilling on grain. Maybe one day I will solve the puzzle.

• edited September 2013

Steam Engineering Tutorials

More than you ever wanted to know about steam and steam design on this site above. Designed for smarter people than me.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Thanks punkin! :)>- lookin for info

It is what you make it!