StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

How do you drink your Gin?

Simple question, so how do you?

Tagged:

Comments

• i usually swish it around a bit in my mouth and then just swallow... i find this the most direct way... happy stillin,

FS

• With a small ice cube or not. Like all good spirits i spend more time smelling than tasting.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I keep my serving gin bottles in a freezer. I drink it straight up, freezer chilled.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited August 2016

I am very interested in learning more about the gin i have and learning to drink cocktails.

I had one bad experience though when i bought some cinzano vermouth and tried a martini at home.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Pretty much why I posted this thread, I know nothing about gin but am interested. I've had a few g&t's (literally only a few) and don't mind them. But I'd like to know how else people are drinking gin - sounds like neat is the way to go.

• G&T on the verandah on a hot 40 C+ afternoon or better still a isolated beach in a deck chair again 40 + under a beach umbrella with your toes dangling in the water - cloths optional. Apart from those long drinks a little St Germain elderflower liquor and gin plus ice. Gin freezing cold.

• straight or with a single ice cube... if it is really hot and daytime, mix with some Mr Q Cucumber soda...

• edited August 2016

Any way that doesn't taste like gnawing on a juniper branch.

I really think we need a new class of vapor distilled botanical spirits.

The gin I like best are those on which juniper is not the star of the show, legal or not.

• edited August 2016

I'm with @grim on this. I've made this and it's tasty AF on its own out of the fridge. Some have identified it as gin despite the lack of the standard juniper, coriander seed, Angelica etc...

For 5 litres neutral 40%

5g Lemon zest
     5g Orange zest
     5g Grapefruit zest
    10g Fresh dill tips
     5g Ground Orris root
     4g Coriander leaf
     5x Raspberries
     5g Basil leaf
     1g Dried Kaffir lime leaves
     3g Lemongrass
     3g Rose petals

• @grim - did you have a chance to try mine straight up?

• edited August 2016

I'm with @punkin about sniffing as much as drinking, which is why I drink the interesting stuff from snifters. Incidentally, I really do love that juniper branch.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• I love cold straight from the Freezer. Straight up in a glass. I normally drink mine with my mouth.

If you want to learn about Gin there is a great book called " The book of Gin" by Richard Barnett. I highly recommend it.

• @CothermanDistilling said: Mr Q Cucumber soda...

I had no idea such a thing existed. How is it?

I love to cut fresh cucumber slices to eat while drinking my gin. The flavors of gin and cukes are made for each other IMHO.

cumber.jpg
    161 x 450 - 15K
  • edited August 2016

I have built an automated 6 head bottle filler for our cider plant.

To best utilize it, I have planned to do other products, namely bottled tonic water.

Part of the production other than standard tonic water is Elderflower tonic water BUT I have never heard of cucumber tonic water. Definitely to be added. Certainly thinking out of the box.

1.jpg
    452 x 800 - 59K
    2.jpg
    800 x 452 - 60K
  • edited August 2016

@Mark85 looks like a tasty mix, I'm with you and @grim, sometimes Juniper can be too overpowering, there is a bit of a movement for "new world Gin" which I think pushes the Juniper down and/or out of the mix but I'm not sure if this is an official appellation or not. Just something I've seen appearing on labels here and there in Oz - what's your method for your recipe above; in the boiler, vapour path or tincture?

• I vapour infuse my gin which gives it a lovely light quaffable flavour. The juniper is there, but not over the top like many liquid infused gins.
    A 50/50 tonic and soda water mix is best for a G&T as the Schweppes tonic water now has way too much sugar in it. A slice of Meyer lemon finishes it off nicely.
    A martini is next. A workmate gave me an old bottle of Angove's Vermouth. So old that it didn't even have a barcode on it. He thought it was buggered as the cork was a bit loose. Not so, it makes the best martini ever. Don't bother using Cinzano vermouth, it is absolute rubbish. I could never understand a martini until I had one using Noilly Prat vermouth. It's twice the price of Cinzano but well and truly worth it.
    And then there's the Negroni, 1 part gin, 1 part red vermouth and 1 part Campari. A wonderfully Italian study in the art of bitter.
    Gin is one of those spirits that you can do so much with. Adding to that, if you make it from a clean neutral you don't have a hangover even if getting legless on the stuff.

• @Mallion said: Mark85 looks like a tasty mix, I'm with you and grim, sometimes Juniper can be too overpowering, there is a bit of a movement for "new world Gin" which I think pushes the Juniper down and/or out of the mix but I'm not sure if this is an official appellation or not. Just something I've seen appearing on labels here and there in Oz - what's your method for your recipe above; in the boiler, vapour path or tincture?

I have a seperate smaller still for flavoured products and prefer to have my botanicals in the pot, I like the bolder flavour. I set everything up the night before and leave it to soak then fire it up the next day. This particular mix was thrown together one day with whatever I had in the cupboard that seemed "light" "citrusy" or "floral" but it's definitely a keeper :)>-

• edited August 2016

I like mine in Martini form. Glass in freezer, and Gin in freezer. Good Vermouth in fridge.

• Step 1 pull glass out of freezer
    • Step 2 line the frozen glass with vermouth then pour out
    • Step 3 gin
    • Step 4 3 drops of lemon
    • Step 5 drink
  • The bartender at the most excellent brewery up the street, 7venth Sun, posted this a while back, I have to say it does work nicely:

Gin Bloody Mary.jpg
    525 x 489 - 48K
  • do not have his recipe, but pickled green beans seem to be in order...

• neat with a drizzle of Triple Sec aka GinSec

• A quick dash of grapefruit and lime never hurts if the juniper is aggressive. In fact it's a nice way to drink gin anyway if you don't feel like straight up so just add ice for a pleasant cocktail.

• Tried a G&T the other day with granadilla pulp. Very different and very nice.

• Everything tastes better with lilikoi (grandillia) in it. There are vines of it covering the north fence of my property. I make a lilikoi mimosa that is flat out knock-your-dick-in-the-dirt awesome.

• Jebus, aka rohypnol?
    EDIT- just looked up. Passion fruit, close.

• Yeah, I have roofy vines growing on my north fence-line.

• Anybody here ever drink pink gin? I normally use peychaud but tonight I tried orange bitters and it's my new favourite :D

• Agrum with fin is pretty good.
    We went through a case like that one NYE