StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

A great reason to visit Dunedin, FL...

We launched our first whiskey Last Friday night, 100% 2-row Barley Single Malt... Two 5gal barrels with whiskey fermented and distilled from wort from 2 local breweries first batches on their systems... we had a 3rd barrel but it did nto make the cut. One of the brewer's showed up and took his emptied barrel to the brewery to be filled with a Belgian Quad.

We did a few bottles of each straight, ~119 proof, straight from the cask for VIP's, then the rest was at 87 proof... we had 5 cases total get bottled and into the gift shop, we cannot ship and do not distribute, so you must come to Dunedin... we priced the first batch to keep it from selling out $100, and we sold about half the first night.. so it was a great night....

Tagged:

Comments

• How long did you go in the 5g?

• :)) a bit over 7 months

• edited August 2016

Looks fantastic mate. There's gotta be a way to do it without the plastic hose though.

The whiskey looks fantastic and i'm fascinated to be watching your growth from inception to major player down the track. Thanks for sharing.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• 10 seconds just for 3-4 of the VIP bottles per barrel... there is desirable practice, then there is reality... waiting on scotty's 'transparent aluminum' hoses.... no worse than that plastic toothpick your manhattan cherry is on... ;-)

• my little hose is just paying homage to the old guys.... Punkin, I wish you could taste the wine of my 80 year old friend that was born in Italy and told stories of the guy packing the hemp in the family's 1000l wine storage barrels...... Made from whole grapes in a blue drum and squeezed in a 1929 press... carefully racked from a 40 year old hiram walker barrel with a piece of stiff old garden hose ;-) into a blue plastic bucket to rinse the barrel, burn a sulfur stick, then scoop by the gallon bucket back into the barrel for another year of aging... except a couple gallons that were then transported from Canada to Florida in the 1gal plastic jugs for us to drink over the winter

1.jpg
    800 x 534 - 84K
    2.jpg
    800 x 534 - 93K
  • edited August 2016

Don't get me wrong, i understand the realities, i just try to find ways to avoid it myself is all. I have a BOP made from a cut off keg with a ball valve mounted in the bottom edge. I tip from jugs or drain from kegs into that and bottle or fill barrels from it just with a stainless or copper funnel.

I know there is no problem with minimal contact with undesirable materials and am certainly not trying to put you ill at ease.

And i'd jump over hoops in order to taste that whiskey.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• You anti-plastic guys are nuts.

• I'm not so antiplastic as i am an avoider where possible.

ButI'llTakeNutsOverSomeOfTheOtherNamesIHaveBeenCalledPunkin

• Looks really inviting.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited August 2016

What's up with the third barrel? Couple more months required?

Looks great by the way!

• it may be destined for cinnamon whiskey or even the dumpster... it is not heads, just kinda nasty... maybe it will clean up, maybe not... I am leaning towards 'not'

• it will make neutral...

• I bought a little barrel off ebay one time. What came out after filling tasted like moldy books. It never would clean up into anything and eventually got tipped.

• Looks great Mike. I really have no excuse for not visiting since I am so close. Gotta put it in my schedule....

• I'll be in Orlando in December for sure, maybe I can take a couple hours and swing over.