StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Ginger Beer

edited June 2013 in Recipes

Following on from comments on the rum thread re how our northern hemisphere cousins can't source ginger beer, i thought you'd like to know how to make your own.

Over here you can but a tin of goo, but there is no need when a little bit of effort you can have a superios product that just about every Aussie family will have a family story which involves ginger beer & often the bottles exploding. That happened to my mum - all over the christmas dinner she had slaved for hours preparing to impress her inlays.

Anyway here is a couple of links which are all variations on making a "plant" ie the proper way....

Ginger Beer Recipe - ABC Brisbane
Ginger Beer - Allrecipes Australia

My recommendation is to bottle it in PET bottles so that what happened to my mum doesn't happen to you :)>- you have been warned....

Gunna have to do this again myself soon.

Any other Aussies got a family ginger beer story or Great Aunty Beryl's ginger beer recipe to share?

Tagged:

Comments

• reckon you'd be better making ginger wine to distil. Ginger beer typically has a low ABV

• I'm getting a little confused now. Please define:
    Ginger Ale.
    Ginger Beer.
    Ginger Wine.

This is all new to me.

• IMHO Ginger beer is an assertive ginger flavoured carbonated beverage. It may be alcoholic or not. Ginger ale is another ginger flavoured carbonated beverage, but is non alcoholic. it typically has a softer dryer palate compared to ginger beer. Ginger wine is non carbonated sweet beverage which is strongly ginger flavoured.

• I've carbonated Ginger Wine in my home system :))

I've tried a fair few times without success to make Ginger Wine. It's my favourite drop to take camping. Usually around 17% abv excpt for the Stones Mac that's mixed with scotch. Wish i could do it.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I will have to try Ginger Wine one time

After that I will try ginger wine then distill.

• edited December 2016

Here's my take:

• 200g sugar
    • 100g ginger sliced
    • 2 tsp citric acid

Boiled everything together for 15 minutes, then steeped for an hour.
    Strained in 2L PET bottle and filled up with water.

Instead of fermenting, I'm carbonating directly. Tastes nice and refreshing.

• Might give this a go but in Aussie Buderim Ginger Refresher is hard to beat.

• edited December 2016

Coopers used to make a ginger beer pack years ago that you brewed like home brew it was just killer. Actually Briglaow make one now and they are really good.
    If you get a couple of hundred grams of ginger and cut it up and stick it in hot water and add to the ginger it makes the whole thing come out great. Brew it up and you have got a great ginger beer at 3% ABV. Nothing better on a hot Queensland afternoon when the rain starts at 5 pm.

• Should have added Buberim Ginger refresher cordial with a dash of Sin-Ko-Nah ( a Tonic Syrup ) gives it a nice bitter edge with homemade soda water. Lived on it while in dry alcohol aboriginal lands.

• edited December 2016

Keep kicking about getting a corny keg setup on co2 so I can make my own ginger beer and force carbonate.

If I start today, I could have a dark and stormy on Christmas Eve.

• edited December 2016

This one is very popular on the SA brewing forum. Made with Ginger and Chilli.

Edited by @Moonshine: Brew Adelaide forum requires you to be logged in to be able to access that link.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• how about a flavoured vodka using ginger essential oil and then mix with sodawater or lemonade?

• edited December 2016

@punkin said: This one is very popular on the SA brewing forum. Made with Ginger and Chilli.

Edited by Moonshine: Brew Adelaide forum requires you to be logged in to be able to access that link.

Sorry about that.

Here's the basic recipe at least;

Nev's Ginger Beer

Gotta go back to basics and throw the AG hat out for 45mins...

23L into fermenter

1 can of Coopers Ginger Beer (kit)
    1 bottle of "Buderim Ginger Refresher"
    600-800g of fresh ginger (coarsely grated)
    Handful of chillies finely chopped, seeds and all (This bit is subjective, but I find a heaped handfull of "hot" chillis to be ample)
    1kg of Dextrose/Sugar
    Coopers Kit yeast (although my latest batch uses US05)

Boil the chillies and ginger in ~4L of water for about 30 mins (add in required amount of DAP into boil 5 mins from the end (or old out of date yeast packs work too)), strain into fermenter and add rest of the ingredients.

Piece of piss crowd pleaser!

You're aiming for a very dry finish. I've used (to success) WY1272, US05 and Notto to achieve SG around 1.002-3. This is the key, drying out the finish, however don't go doing that with champagne yeast.

• @grim said: Keep kicking about getting a corny keg setup on co2 so I can make my own ginger beer and force carbonate.

If I start today, I could have a dark and stormy on Christmas Eve.

top idea. I did a keg of ujsm & coke for a birthday party (3l UJsm to 16l coke). to get a decent carbonation in the glass, had to gas the keg to a much higher level than beer and use a really long piece of hose between the keg and the tap to stop the foaming.

sorry can't recall the pressure or hose length off the top of my head