StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

The Pink Floyd Thread

Comments

• Awesome, but I want to see the front shot.

• And body paint should only be applied to pure skin without any fabric! :D

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• @Moonshine said: And body paint should only be applied to pure skin without any fabric! :D

That's the way it's done at Fantasy Fest.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• id knock a brick out that wall

• edited June 2016

pink1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 33K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Srv on Lenny, or Couldnt stand the weather...awesome. My votes would go to Page, Beck, Gilmour and....Ian Moss!

• 'I got 13 channels of shit on the tv to choose from' ...nothing much has changed

• edited June 2016

Overhead the albatross

Hangs motionless upon the air

And deep beneath the rolling waves

In labyrinths of coral caves

An echo of a distant time

Comes willowing across the sand

And everything is green and submarine

• And my fav: 'Far away across the fields, the tolling of the iron bell, Draws the faithful to their knees, To hear the softly spoken magic spells'

• edited June 2016

I've probably posted it before and i can't choose a favourite song because it changes, but certainly in the top five is Fearless. One line in particular is in one of my inner rules to live by;

Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd, smiling

"Fearless"

You say the hill's too steep to clim Chiding!

You say you'd like to see me try,
    Climbing!

You pick the place and I'll choose the time
    And I'll climb
    The hill in my own way
    just wait a while, for the right day
    And as I rise above the treeline and the clouds
    I look down hear the sound of the things you said today

Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd, smiling

Merciless, the magistrate turns 'round, frowning

and who's the fool who wears the crown

Go down in your own way

And everyday is the right day

And as you rise above the fearlines in his frown

You look down

Hear the sound of the faces in the crowd

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited June 2016

I go through waves of favorite Floyd albums. But to tell you the truth, Wall does not come up in regular rotation anymore. Great album, but I don't think it's their best.

That said, I'm a fan of Radio Kaos (Tide is Turning), and I think Division Bell (High Hopes) was a solid album too, which makes me sort of a Floyd outcast.

Meddle is one of my favorites, but mostly because Echoes ranks as my #1 all time of the Floyd catalog. But, again, I admit that it's very far off the typical - it's pretty deep into psychedelic prog rock. My wife says she will murder me if I ever play it in the car again, or kill herself, but someone is going to die. I've got it on vinyl, the A side has NEVER been played.

I know lots of folks who say Fearless is their favorite Floyd song, but many of them tend to be bigger fans of folk than prog. I personally think it's got a very grateful dead vibe, I could imagine Jerry singing it on as a track on American Beauty (gasp - I'm sure the deadheads would fillet me).

• Meddle is definitely up there with the best. Was never a Great Wall fan and your right I would be bold to put it on in the car on a long trip as I would be nutted. She would be OK with Dark Side of The Moon or wish you were here. I also quite like The Final cut but a little depressive.

• Meddle for me too, closely followed by dark side. Then wish you were here.
    Spent many hours flat on my back on the lounge room floor with the stereo cranked up and eyes shut. I never really got in to the Wall.

• Atom Heart Mother Suite is still my favorite ... (way too many memories of smoke hazed, dimly lit rooms). then Echoes, and Keep Talking. I had the good luck to have a back stage pass for the quad sound "Dark Side of the Moon" tour in '72 - its seared in my memory.

• The Wall was never my favorite Floyd album - too much movie soundtrack-like filler between the pearls,- but Comfortably Numb is without a doubt my favorite Floyd song, with it providing my favorite guitar solo of all music.

Cut my teeth Floyd teeth on Ummagumma. My older sister brought it home (she was my rock music mentor when I was a teenager) when it was released and said, "You gotta listen to this!" Loved the cover photo even before I dropped the needle into the groove for the first time. I went out a bought my own copy the next day.

I saw them for the first time in 1972 at Lyric Theater in Baltimore. It was called the Obscured by Clouds tour, but IIRC they played a lot of yet to be released DSOM songs. Back then Pink Floyd was not that well known yet. Lyric Theater was a small venue - maybe 5000 seats. The hall was about half full with us true believers. It was a formative experience for me.

Obscured by Clouds came out about a month later and provided the soundtrack for my summer of 1972. It was one of the best summers of my life, so far. So for me, if I had to pick one album as my favorite, it is Obscured by Clouds.

• I'm only a young fella on level 52 so the wall was my intro to Floyd and its true that i dont play the album anymore but i often think that's due to saturation. Meddle is my all time fav and started my obsession with dog songs. I do like some of the newer stuff too though. I cant listen to immagumma anymore same as i cant listen to my Yes albums or King Crimson.

• edited July 2016

Saw all three groups in concert, but by the time I got there Greg Lake had already moved on from King Crimson to Emerson Lake & Palmer (saw ELP in Concert too).

King Crimson definitely has a best album cover candidate in there:

Front:

Whole cover (opened out):

1.jpg
    800 x 562 - 90K
    2.jpg
    800 x 246 - 44K

• I dunno Roger Dean is pretty hard to beat. I have one of his winged lizard guys tattooed right across one side of my rib cage.

• edited July 2016

@Kapea said: King Crimson definitely has a best album cover candidate in there

Couldn't agree more @Kapea, my home "office" has my favorite 23 albums which are also noted for their cover artwork, lining three walls - all have good condition vinyl inside... Guilty of perpetually living in the past.

image.jpg
    800 x 342 - 41K
  • edited June 2016

@punkin said: I dunno Roger Dean is pretty hard to beat. I have one of his winged lizard guys tattooed right across one side of my rib cage.

Ah hah! Not a Yes fan, but a fan of their cover art.
    That's cool. His stuff is pretty great. I think he inspired many of the settings on the planet in the movie Avatar

Yes put on some amazing shows. I saw them live in 72, 74, and 76. The 72 show was the best with Rick Wakeman on keyboards.

I get where you're coming from though. I don't have the patience to listen to there long rambling pieces so much any more. But I enjoyed them a lot back in the day.

These days when I'm in the mood for that kinda of music (sort of) I let these guys vibrate the windows and walls - Phutureprimative, The Glitch Mob, Infected Mushroom, Uppermost, Daft Punk, Shpongle, Faux Tails, Salem, Bluetech, Ronald Jenkees, Bag Raiders, Two Fingers, Nero, Flux Pavilion, Blackmill, David Starfire, Mitis...

• edited June 2016

@Skaal said: "King Crimson definitely has a best album cover candidate in there" - Couldn't agree more Kapea, my home "office" has my favorite 23 albums which are also noted for their cover artwork, lining three walls - all have good condition vinyl inside... Guilty of perpetually living in the past.

Savoy Brown! (later to morph into Foghat). I had their Raw Sienna (and other shades of brown), and Looking In albums. Haven't thought about them in a coon's age. Wonder if they're on iTunes...

• edited July 2016

HR Giger
    before Alien, Aliens...

ELP Brain Salad Surgery 1973.jpg
    800 x 414 - 66K

• @punkin said: Meddle is my all time fav and started my obsession with dog songs.

Like seamus?
    Got any more good ones? That's my muts favourite song. He likes Talking Lion Blues too :)

• Funny story. When i met the bourbon girl we used to see bands a lot. I'd be in the crowd yelling 'Sing a song about a dooooggggg '. And most tim4s the band would. Hound dog etc.

Was only a couple years later i first heard my war cry come from someone else in the crowd. Seems everytime i go anywhere now I hear some fucking loudmouth yelling 'Sing a song about a dooooggggg '

• edited July 2016

Can you imagine how cool it must have been to be at the RAH for this?

Just a couple of David's getting numb...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HnjsULFHmM

• edited July 2016

Are we all showing our age by association or does PF transcend the age thing.

Punkin where are you ? on a A380 40000 feet up traveling at mach .9

• I'm an 80's kid :D

• 2.30 in the morning and leaving for the airport. Dont take off for 5 hours yet.

So much look8ng forward to Tianbing for breakfast tomorrow.

• edited July 2016

I was on a loooong flight from the east coast to Gilligan's Island. The flight attendants were rolling the food cart down the isle serving dinner. They got to the woman across the isle from me and asked her what she wanted.
    "What are the entree choices?" the woman asked.
    "Tonight we are serving roasted lemon chicken, grilled salmon, or vegetarian lasagna."
    "What would you recommend?"
    "I recommend that you do not eat," the flight attendant replied with a straight face.